[CWG-Stewardship] [client com] IPR Memo

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Mon Aug 10 10:48:46 UTC 2015

For what it's worth, I can live with either ICANN holding the rights in its role of steward for the names community - but can see why that might not be appropriate for numbers and protocols - or for a separate trust to take on this role for all communities.

It should *not* be with the operator (PTI or successor) except on a right to use.

Like others I think setting up a new trust to manage this role sounds like yet another layer of bureaucracy and I fail to see how it would add any value - it certainly could add risk (the creation of a new entity and new layers always does).

I realise that it is implementation, but whoever carries out the role there needs to be a clear accountability of that organisation to names, numbering and protocol-parameter communities that the use of these resources will be granted to the organisation(s) carrying out the role of the IANA functions operator(s).

ICANN does this currently:  would it need some form of bylaw change to ensure that it does have to grant rights to the operator(s) or its successor(s), if it were to continue in this role?

IETF could do this in the future, but again needs to show some framework for accountability to the operational communities.

As Jari says, this is an implementation issue, but one which we need to nail down in time for the proposal to go forward.

Martin