[CWG-Stewardship] A liaison from the Board to CWG

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Feb 20 23:29:23 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 20-Feb-15 17:58, Christopher Wilkinson wrote:

> I rest my case: the ICANN Board is the Regulator; not a 'stakeholder'.

Just because some entity may or may not be a regulator under some
definition for 'regulator' does not say anything about whether or not it
is also a stakeholder grouping or comprised of stakeholders.

I personally I think of the Board as staff since they are paid by
ICANN.  And I think that staff are stakeholders too.

There are probably many other ways in which their stakeholder nature can
be argued.  From the most basic defintion, they too have a stake in the
recommendations and decisions being made.  If one has a stake in a
decison, they are, by definition, a stakeholder.

One of the most surprising aspects of multistakeholderism is the
tendency some have to define others as not having a stake.