[CWG-Stewardship] A liaison from the Board to CWG

John Poole jp1 at expri.com
Mon Feb 23 22:41:14 UTC 2015

Greg:

I agree with Milton Mueller --"In reality there is no such thing as a
turn-key IANA transition proposal. Major pieces of any solution are going
to have to be described in the final proposal and implemented over a period
of months."

Greg, you are the only person I have heard use the term "turn-key" or like
words. Nowhere has Larry Strickling said or indicated the proposal when
submitted must be "turn-key"--if so, the CWG needs to tell Larry Strickling
to send his US government lawyers here now because we are going to draft
ALL the documents now and we need the US government's input now for
"approved FINAL Drafts" before even ICG has had a chance to do its initial
review!

If that is really what you and Jonathan and Lise think is needed or
required after re-reading Milton Mueller's apt comments below, but are
hesitant about contacting Larry Strickling and requesting the necessary
participation by US government lawyers in order to have "approved FINAL
drafts," I will be glad to do that for you and the CWG. However, I am also
confident that Mr. Strickling's response will be that it is not necessary
that the proposal be "turn-key" and that someone must have misunderstood
what he was saying.

CWG is already very late in submitting its proposal to the ICG--the CWG
proposal needs no more detail than the other proposals that have already
been submitted, see the comment by Seun Ojedeji
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/2015-February/001903.html>
on point. In fact, you will note that at our last meeting that it was
discussed how the voluminous detail in the draft proposal completed for
earlier phases of the CWG work will now have to be reduced and summarized
to be similar in scope to what was submitted by Protocols and Numbers.

Best regards,
John Poole

from Milton Mueller: