[CWG-Stewardship] NTIA's Role in Root Zone Management

David Conrad david.conrad at icann.org
Tue Jan 20 21:23:09 UTC 2015

Chuck,

>But I also do not see the value in arguing back and forth with regard to
>specific organizational failures except to illustrate why the community
>wants to ensure that ICANN accountability minimizes the risks of those
>kinds of failures.

To be honest, given ICANN's uniqueness as mentioned by Greg, I don't see a
lot of value or relevance in asserting accountability associated with
Verisign's for-profit company status -- it all seems like a big red
herring to me.

>You apparently think that ICANN's accountability measures are sufficient;

Actually, I have made no such assertion.  As stated, I'm just a technical
person and all this accountability stuff is beyond me.  What I do object
to, however, are the statements by yourself, Milton, and others that imply
that ICANN is operating in an accountability vacuum. I have no doubt
ICANN's accountability can be improved, but ICANN does have a number of
accountability measures and besides, isn't that the task of a different
group?

Regards,
-drc