[CWG-Stewardship] FAQ on Legal Counsel Memorandum on Proposed Post-Transition Structure

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Fri May 8 23:23:38 UTC 2015

The FAQ is very good and very helpful but I suggest that the three bullets under the strengths for Question 1 be reordered as follows:

*        The proposed structure allows for a formal contract between ICANN and the
IANA functions operator, which further evidences and supports functional
separation.

*        Without a contract, other means of establishing expectations regarding
performance levels and related terms would need to be identified, which would
likely be less formal and less enforceable than through a contractual relationship.
Recourse for a "breach" of those terms and conditions would be limited to
internal redress mechanisms such as through the IFR team and the CSC.

*        If there is a future need to separate or divest ICANN of the IANA functions, the
work of identifying and segregating assets will have already been done. This
should enhance the separability of the IANA functions.

All I did is move what was the first bullet to the last bullet.  Because separation is perceived as a last resort and unlikely option, it doesn't seem to me that we should lead with that advantage.

Chuck