[CWG-Stewardship] Fwd: Re: [DTA - SLE] SLE Document with clarifying background info.

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Mon May 11 17:47:30 UTC 2015

A superlative job, Alan?  I'm feeling quite ambivalent about the discussion on SLEs.  I think that there are several things that need to be considered:

1. If we are going to hold the PTI to account for failing to meet obligations, I'd rather know that we are getting them to put their (essentially the registries') money into the right things.  We have a set of SLEs at the moment in the SoW.  Some might need changes because of the change of stewardship, but any other changes should be justified.  Just saying that the current performance is 99.999% x, so why is the SLE set at 99.9% is, of itself, not the right approach.  (That would not stop the CSC's work of monitoring the performance to recognise that the performance was slipping and ask the PTI why that was happening - sort of heading it off.)

2. More importantly, there should be a defined process for upgrading the SLEs.  For urgent stuff this could be via the CSC and an open consultation.  Other stuff would be usefully done through the IFR process.

3. Quite often failure to meet targets can be as much the fault of the customer as the supplier.  Assessment against SLEs needs to recognise this.

Hope this helps

Martin