[CWG-Stewardship] update on DT X Separation Process

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Fri May 15 08:00:20 UTC 2015

On the fifth separation mechanism, I really wonder why we might think it appropriate to separate the IANA affiliate.  This is one of many reasons why I am concerned about getting the accountability structure right:  clear and simple so it is always possible to know where to fix the system.

If PTI is failing *and* ICANN as the "parent" is not able to sort it out, in what way is giving the PTI added freedom a solution?

There are many things that might happen that could make it worthwhile to capture the PTI - including accumulation of cash or establishing a new regime for controlling the root.  Allowing a severance mechanism would then support and complete this and remove the IANA functions operator from any of the established accountability mechanisms, wouldn't it?

The fifth mechanism *might* have a use, but I'd like to know what we see these to be and clearly define this.  It has to be the exception.

MB