[CWG-Stewardship] PTI Board Composition

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Tue May 26 17:00:01 UTC 2015

Milton,

It all depends on the role.  I would be unhappy if a ccNSO director (or a GNSO one for that matter) thought that part of their role was to talk about (say) a redelegation of .uk.  We are back to the problem of having well-meaning and worthy people in a position.  That "ccTLD operators and boards are often (though not always) chosen by a local MS community" does not mean that they should be able to judge - yet another judge - in an already delicate relationship.

That's not that I do not support your argument - if we have to have cross membership of the two Boards, then Chuck's proposal is sensible (so long as they cannot opine on the merits of a delegation/redelegation, only on whether due process has been followed and documented).  It is just that they at least will have a reasonable idea of forward planning and resourcing and requirements for the service.

I fear we are drifting from a management board role - a board that will fight PTI's corner with the ICANN Board for resources and ensure that deterioration of service quality is dealt with quickly (even without prompting from the CSC).

Martin