[CWG-Stewardship] FW: IPR follow up

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Tue Jan 12 16:32:43 UTC 2016

I wanted to send a high-level follow-up — I had not followed this discussion in the last couple of days even though I had exchanged some private mail on the matter.

From my perspective I wanted to highlight three things:

* We wanted to provide an example, so that discussions could start. But it really is only an example, please feel free to pick it apart and suggest better ways.

* The key piece from my perspective is what rights & responsibilities for the parties are set up by the agreements between the trust and the OCs. The OCs need to be comfortable that they get what they want. Again, please suggest what you need here.

* We continue to offer IETF trust as a possible home for the setup. For practical reasons, such a setup works best when the IETF Trust can continue also its existing duties without too many distractions, which is why we have suggested structuring the setup as a set of contracts that govern the specific rights regarding the IANA IPR. But at least I personally have no particularly attachment to using the IETF Trust, other setups are also quite acceptable. However, being the practical engineers we wanted to provide something that is up and running and could be setup for further IPR holding quickly.

For what it is worth, I also fully agree with what my colleague Andrew said in his e-mails on this thread.

Jari