[Dt-cwg-auctionproceeds] mp3 and attendance new gTLD Auction Proceeds Drafting Team 27 July 2016

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Wed Aug 10 15:00:20 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the new gTLD Auction Proceeds Drafting Team held on 10 August 2016 at 12:00 UTC: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-new-gtld-auction-proceeds-10aug16-en.mp3<http://mailer.samanage.com/wf/click?upn=NrFWbrBstcrPWP369qgbqlXiSKeL20xnUXzI03ZqpsuDGgbutH3nVNCyFQnIoBtiHFTcaeu4QmqxpOexJvnwAtaKFZlbEgyFJOnwZ53Oq0o-3D_nEX-2FaOijqgcJlSz5SkmueJu3tRbmaDiuX89gT35tStEeSHP9whdoceObpMxYsFLQddiMZpQjIv8dk6BsBGSJXH7VWN4SGLCJgbGKCk6E-2FTErjF4OKNQt65Dk9NF54IJ9kQpmDNySj7bbNz9G4dXi5BgbCZotTx8KNfyeB0z00f8KsMfETeTNKd7vy2kKI7tttQUIwid4NAhxXgT3nZYwmqNfLr1357mosGO9nXJXg6jama0uuqW0m6VS6p5JobOFXJZuDPM648jqx3DajFVvGCLLe-2BdGOt9HDbBA3VvAqms-2F6clNbzKSWZGzECEigpgv0bgQzKLW3E81n9tegHPqtzoOw3WGkAlAtnn9Y4Gvgl-2BivQJZHZPyRiA8kNSCBnME5g-2BwTKodIxtjdPjUTv6dXcs5-2FjUb69tCyXGN-2F0IzeCsoJ97DoKkKYFOKqM3qvFzjG-2BXmvxe6yCRzFQVDcfhJX8JhWoWM3aGipk1q4-2F4Drf7tE878uFfS3nU-2FiRsCijM7>

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>
The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/px6AAw

Attendees:

ALAC
Alan Greenberg

ASO
Sylvia Cadena

ccNSO
Will not be participating in the drafting team

GAC
Olga Cavalli

GNSO
Jonathan Robinson

RSSAC
Brad Verd

SSAC
Lyman Chapin

Board
Board Liaisons
Erika Mann
Asha Hemrajani

Board appointed staff advisors

Apologies:
Tony Harris
Russ Mundy
Samantha Eisner

ICANN staff:
Marika Konings
Vinciane Koenigsfeld
Lauren Allison
David Tait
Terri Agnew

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Terri Agnew
-------------------------------
Adobe Connect chat transcript for Wednesday, 10 August 2016

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG Charter Drafting Team held on Wednesday, 10 August 2016 at 12:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:wiki agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/gASsAw

  Olga Cavalli:hola Silvia!

  Olga Cavalli:Hi Terry!

  Sylvia Cadena:Hola :)

  Jonathan Robinson:Hello All

  Asha Hemrajani:Hello

  Asha Hemrajani:Can some from staff give me the singapore access number? The numbers in the email are all mangled up

  Marika Konings:800-120-4663

  Lauren Allison:Erika is currently stuck in meetings and hopes to connect in 30 minutes. She sends her apologies in the meantime

  Asha Hemrajani:any passcode?

  Olga Cavalli:I hear nothing is this ok?

  Marika Konings:65-6883-9230 (toll)

  Terri Agnew:SINGAPORE                           65-6883-9230                     800-120-4663

  Terri Agnew:passcode: Auction

Alan Greenberg:AUdio ok

  Olga Cavalli:ok I hear no sound I will connect and disconnect again

  Asha Hemrajani:Thank you Marika and Terri.  Please Terri could you confirm that it will be the same numbers for future calls?

  Terri Agnew:@Asha, confirmed it is

  Asha Hemrajani:Thanks Terri.  Please check your private chat

  Olga Cavalli:Ihear nothing :( can you do a dial up to me? +54 11 4826 2530

  Asha Hemrajani:Olga, did you do "connect your audio" from your adobe top bar?

  Olga Cavalli:yes i did

  Olga Cavalli:no audio on the computer, it happens sometimes

  Marika Konings:that is correct

  Terri Agnew:@Olga, the operator will dial out in a moment

  Marika Konings:comment #22, if I am not mistaken, is next

  Olga Cavalli:thanks

  Olga Cavalli:im in the phone now thanks!!

  Marika Konings:that is correct

  Lauren Allison:Sam is unable to make this call due to ill health and would like me to send her apologies for the record

  Sylvia Cadena:I agree Jonathan.

  Sylvia Cadena:We are not there yet.

  Olga Cavalli:agree with Jonanthan

  Asha Hemrajani:agree - we should take the time that we need

  Olga Cavalli:If GAC needs to approve it will take time please have that in consideration

  Sylvia Cadena:We cannot drag this for too long either. It is important to get a final draft soon so the apporvals process can take the time is needed.

  Sylvia Cadena:Weekly meetings sounds ok so that we can get as close as possible to that deadline.

  Sylvia Cadena:No, I didn't.

  Marika Konings:Staff can try to reconcile those or mark where there is conflict in the revised charter?

  Sylvia Cadena:There were a few notes in the document that we discussed in the conference call. I did add what I said on the last conference call.

  Sylvia Cadena:Nothing different from what we discussed.

  Sylvia Cadena:I was taking notes on the documents during the meeting about my own comments. Sorry if that generated any confusion, but I didn't add anything that we did not discussed on the last meeting.

  Terri Agnew:sync is enabled, everyone can scroll themselves

  Olga Cavalli:good point Alan

  Asha Hemrajani:Marika could you speak a bit slower please

  Sylvia Cadena:Thanks for the input Marika. Good to have that into consideration.

  Marika Konings:Apologies Asha - I will do my best to slow down :-)

  Sylvia Cadena:That will be to help to CCWG.

  Marika Konings:if I remember correctly, the charter currently foresees the ability for the CCWG to identify expertise needed as part of its process

  Sylvia Cadena:I don't think the DT should be calling for experts at this stage, but identifying the skills/knowledge that will be needed

  Alan Greenberg:@Marika, yes

  Alan Greenberg:Regarding CCWG ACCT experts, I beleive it wasmore like 7 of them. We did not pay fees, but we did fly them around the world (largely or partially in business class).

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Erika Mann

  Erika Mann:Just joined

  Erika Mann:Hi Terri

  Asha Hemrajani:@alan actually Steve did not advocate separating into 3 buckets - he was very against that

  Asha Hemrajani:@Alan the 3 buckets issue was just an example

  Olga Cavalli:my call drop off, please Terry ask the operator to call me again

  Alan Greenberg:The impression I got is he was advocating that. But it is moot as this wil be a CCWG discussion and decisin.

  Erika Mann:CAn someone tguide me to the right topic

  Asha Hemrajani:I agree Alan - it is a CCWG discussion and decision

  Alan Greenberg:@22

  Asha Hemrajani:Hi Erika, we are on #22

  Sylvia Cadena:comment 22 Erika

  Marika Konings:@Erika - comment 22 on page 17

  Erika Mann:Thank you Marika

  Asha Hemrajani:@sylvia I did not suggest that we call for experts at this stage.  What I was talking about was in line with what Jonathan said

  Erika Mann:Is everyone else hearing Sylvia badly?

  Asha Hemrajani:Yes Sylvia sounded a bit muffled

  Erika Mann:I think you can't hear me

  Erika Mann:Move on

  Asha Hemrajani:I just want to clarify that while knowledge of the ICANN ecosystem is good, it shoudl not be mandatory

  Terri Agnew:@Erika, I don't see your mic active. Please let me know if the op should dial out to you

  Asha Hemrajani:We need to have as broad a participation as possible

  Erika Mann:Try again please

  Terri Agnew:@Erika, audio is now working

  Asha Hemrajani:can hear you Erika

  Erika Mann:I said we are fine

  Jonathan Robinson:Thank you Erica

  Erika Mann:Agree with Alan

  Sylvia Cadena:23

  Sylvia Cadena:Hold on, but thn we need something on the charter about how / who appoints / nominates members that are not from the chartetring organizations?

  Marika Konings:@Sylvia - only Chartering organizations can appoint members, but anyone can join as a participant

  David Tait:I'm taking them

  Asha Hemrajani:Sylvia has a valid point here

  Sylvia Cadena:Yes, but what Asha said was to open members to others

  Erika Mann:Open minded yes, but we don't need folks that understand the instrumental part of dispursement but the framing of programs yet

  Sylvia Cadena:Ok, I think we had already said that on the charter.

  Asha Hemrajani:yes that was my point - I think the text in the charter is broad enough already

  Jonathan Robinson:N.B. Anyone may participate. There is nothing to stop experts particpating. As per Marika's point.

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Brad Verd

  Asha Hemrajani:Agree Jonathan - we are not talking about participants, we are talking about members

  Asha Hemrajani:good point Alan

  Asha Hemrajani:Jonathan - it was important to take the time to get that sorted.

  Sylvia Cadena:We said 2 to 5.

  Olga Cavalli:The group should remain not too big

  Erika Mann:Okay

  Sylvia Cadena:+1 to what Marika said, and also agree with Olga that it should not be too big.

  Asha Hemrajani:ok with that

  Marika Konings:the charter currently foresees that the chartering organizations may appoint a chair to the CCWG (the Board is not a chartering organization)

  Olga Cavalli:ok

  Sylvia Cadena:Ok with appointing liaisons. It will be good to define such role at the CCWG level

  Erika Mann:Since you can\t hear me, I can only type. So, let's have Asha moving ahead first

  Erika Mann:You can't hear me today

  Erika Mann:Correct

  Sylvia Cadena:Agree with Jonathan.

  Asha Hemrajani:My hand is down - that was an old hand

  Asha Hemrajani:agreed - outtside of scope

  Erika Mann:Exactly, this is outside the scope

  Sylvia Cadena:Does the charter mentions that the CCWG needs to come up with the criteria?

  Asha Hemrajani:This question came up because the audience at the public forum were not too clear on the 3 phased approach

  Sylvia Cadena:Ok

  Erika Mann:Outside the scope, agree

  Olga Cavalli:ok

  Asha Hemrajani:on a separate note, when we have a public forum in Hyderabad, India, we should take pains to clearly explain the 3 phased approach

  Sylvia Cadena:I think we mentioned in the charter as one of the considerations for the CCWG to  discuss

  Asha Hemrajani:ok for me too

  Olga Cavalli:agree with Asha

  Marika Konings:I believe it is in the DT, but I will review

  Marika Konings:in the charter

  Marika Konings:not DT

  Sylvia Cadena:Yes, I think on the charter we have a list of things to consider, criteria, evaliation etc were there

  Asha Hemrajani:yes we do already!

  Sylvia Cadena:I think we left it all quite loose because of the fact that the ICANN mission is also being worked out...

  Erika Mann:YOu still can't hear me. move on

  Asha Hemrajani:I agree that this part needs more fleshing out

  Sylvia Cadena:No worries

  Erika Mann:CCWG will have to frame and define the scope and goals for the allocation of the fund.

  Asha Hemrajani:Steve Crocker had raised this point too. the CCWG should define what the end goals are

  Erika Mann:Specific objectives might relate to goals and scope, objectives might be a subset of things to achieve

  Asha Hemrajani:+1 Erika

  Jonathan Robinson:@Asha, Erica - if we move point to right of colon as answer / DT response, is that satisfactory?

  Erika Mann:For me yes, Jonathan

  Asha Hemrajani:right of which colon?

  Asha Hemrajani:in the notes section?

  Asha Hemrajani:Comment 29 - The CCWG will be responsible for choosing the specific objectives and shaping those further. [ACTION: Staff to ensure this is mapped into Charter]

  Asha Hemrajani:high level goals

  Erika Mann:I agree with Alan, objectives is too narrow

  Sylvia Cadena:Ok

  Asha Hemrajani:I think this is a misunderstanding

  Erika Mann:It's too confusing

  Asha Hemrajani:#30

  Erika Mann:This should be up to the CCWG to decide ... depends on the real allocation structure that will be setup in the future

  Alan Greenberg:No restriction, but we do assume the disbursement will be over a relatively long period.

  Erika Mann:Agree with Alan

  Sylvia Cadena:I think the DT should state that there will be  no restrictions of this kind

  Erika Mann:I would separate the two items and not have them in a single sentence

  Asha Hemrajani:why not split it into two separate sentences

  Asha Hemrajani:exactly Marika!

  Asha Hemrajani:I think it was about one time revenue source, not how many times an applicant has applied

  Asha Hemrajani:agree with Alan's point - don't use the words "one time funding"

  Sylvia Cadena:Ok, if it refers to one time revenue source then it will be ok. One time funding is a different  expression, as Alan said

  Asha Hemrajani:yes use "revenue source"

  Erika Mann:Let's be silent

  Sylvia Cadena:The mandate is at the beginning of the charter, about round 1.

  Asha Hemrajani:so could we answer in the public comment tool but not put into the charter?

  Asha Hemrajani:agree Jonathan

  Sylvia Cadena:Ok

  Sylvia Cadena:That will be great Marika

  Sylvia Cadena:That will certainly make it clear for people that comments were addressed

  Asha Hemrajani:Alan, from my notes - yes it was the gentleman from tucows who brought this up.  His name is Elliott?

  Sylvia Cadena:Who was the person that made the comment so repetitively?

  Marika Konings:Eliott Noss

  Marika Konings:comment #36 also talks about one-off process

 Sylvia Cadena:round 1, we should clarify that is round 1 (in full)

  Sylvia Cadena:agree with Alan

  Alan Greenberg:The CCWG, in its wisdom, may decide to use all of the money in one fell swoop!

  Asha Hemrajani:yes Alan - the CCWG might give it all to a foundation

  Alan Greenberg:I would fight it tooth and nail unless *I* am the recipient

  Asha Hemrajani:Really Alan :-)

  Alan Greenberg:ok, I will share with a few selected friends

  Erika Mann:Agree

  Asha Hemrajani:agree 500%!

  Sylvia Cadena:Yes please, try to finish the comment tool

  Erika Mann:Outside the scope

  Asha Hemrajani:this is related to the previous point #30

  Asha Hemrajani:a bit connected

  Erika Mann:Alan!

  Asha Hemrajani:I agree with the principle that the CCWG should have a finite life- again this question came out of ignorance of the 3 phased process

  Erika Mann:Can you repeaat Jonathan

  Asha Hemrajani:Jonathan, I like your draft answer

  Jonathan Robinson:Thanks Asha. @Erica. Please see RHS - draft answer to comment 32

  Erika Mann:Wil check

  Asha Hemrajani:Comment 32 - DT does expect the CCWG to have a finite life and the CCWG will not be involved in any distribution decisions.

  Asha Hemrajani:Erika, I pasted it above for you

  Erika Mann:Thanks Asha. I have problem with the right column. Either it's so small that I can't read or I can only see half of the column

  Erika Mann:Alan, good point but I would only say that the CCWG should consider and should come up with alternative proposals that should be investigated

  Erika Mann:Exactly Asha

  Jonathan Robinson:@Asha. Assume income accrues to the fund. Correct?

  Erika Mann:Alan, I think we need to discuss this as soon as we have the processses in place.

  Alan Greenberg:Just a note to augment the charter after we finish the PC review.

  Sylvia Cadena:Agree with Alan

  Erika Mann:Asha, let's discuss this with the Board

  Erika Mann:Anyone still there???

  Sylvia Cadena:I am here Erika

  Erika Mann:Hi Sylvia!

  Sylvia Cadena::)

  Sylvia Cadena:Maybe to have a diagram that explains? That way people migh actually get it, as they might not read the whole charter

  Erika Mann:It's a bit deeper this point. It says that criterias for the expected results should be setup. Agree with what Alan is saying.

  Asha Hemrajani:Sylvia, we did have a diagram at helsinki.

  Sylvia Cadena:On 34 the DT can add to the list of things to consider for the CCWG what are the minimum outcomes for accountability

  Sylvia Cadena:The PPT was a lot of text, not very clear. At least the one I saw before

  Asha Hemrajani:but our thoughts were not that mature yet on this, but now they have formed up more. So for Hyderabad, we can have clearer material

  Asha Hemrajani:sylvia, have a look at diagrams that marika added - you can ask her later

  Sylvia Cadena:On 34 the DT can add to the list of things to consider for the CCWG what are the minimum outcomes for accountabilit

  Sylvia Cadena:Is important to define a minimum

  Asha Hemrajani:I agree with your proposed answer to #35

  Sylvia Cadena:Agree Jonatahn, on diversity

  Asha Hemrajani:jonathan, could we go back to #34

  Sylvia Cadena:I also commented on #34. On 34 the DT can add to the list of things to consider for the CCWG what are the minimum outcomes for accountability

  Sylvia Cadena:There are different outcomes depending on different projects, so  for the CCWG can define what a minimum will be to compare all the different ones

  Erika Mann:I recommend not to do this, these kind of things need more time to think through and it depends how much risk one would be willing to take.

  Sylvia Cadena:That is not set from the start. That is based on each grant

  Erika Mann:I agree with Sylvia

  Asha Hemrajani:yes good point - Sylvia.  I was referring to success of the funding, not individual projects

  Asha Hemrajani:Jonathan, give us some time to mull over this a bit more

  Alan Greenberg:This is a WELL estblished process.

  Alan Greenberg:established

  Alan Greenberg:We are nowhere near the first group to give away money with specific aims in mind.

  David Tait:Jonathan just to clarify I've used the term 'grants' to make clear this is distinct from the stewarding function of the funds.

  Sylvia Cadena:ok

  Asha Hemrajani:open to another date

  Alan Greenberg:I should be available to chair if needed. But Joanthan's wisdom is always helpful.

  Sylvia Cadena:It will be great to have the comments asap, so that we can make progress on the charter

  Asha Hemrajani:I have difficulty for 24th also

  Erika Mann:Okay

  Alan Greenberg:Good meeting

  Erika Mann:Thanks!

  Sylvia Cadena:Thank you all ::)

  Asha Hemrajani:Excellent progress Jonathan, well done!

  Asha Hemrajani:Thank you all