[SLE Team] {SPAM/L} RE: FW: SLEs - Working Draft

Adam Smith adam.smith at cdns.net
Wed Aug 5 02:20:44 UTC 2015

Thanks Paul,

Please see answers in-line.

Best,

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul M Kane [mailto:Paul.Kane at CDNS.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:05 PM
To: Adam Smith <adam.smith at CDNS.net>
Cc: jay at nzrs.net.nz; jeff at rightside.co; jeff.neuman at valideus.com;
elaine at donuts.email; ppoblete at nic.cl
Subject: Re: FW: SLEs - Working Draft

Adam

Thanks for your email but I am a little confused. This should be a standard
process flow SLA.

I am struggling to identify the impasse from your email?

Are you saying that you want IANA to capture/publish the time taken for each
process step and IANA don't want to do that?

Yes - IANA would like to combine the steps into larger buckets and measure
the combined point.  For example, there are two separate technical checks
done during the process.  Even though, the steps are the same for both
checks, they are done at completely different points, and could have
different variations in time, etc.  IANA would like to combine the two
sub-process into a single Technical check category.  My only assumption is
that there is more effort in setting up and maintaining multiple measurement
points, and if technical process for each time is the same, then there is no
harm in combining them.

If so, could you tell us what is their reasoning for just having a single
customer request process time rather than both the time taken for each
specific process step as well as the cumulative transaction time?

IANA's reasoning is that it is duplicative to measure both the process steps
and cumulative transaction time.  If the all the step's SLE times are
maintained then their process meets the SLE.  Unfortunately, this opens up
an opportunity where, even though, the individual steps are efficiently
maintained, there still could be delays in the "queues" between steps.  So
for example, if you were to have a simple change request for NS records go
through, the overall process could still take a months, but the SLEs of each
step still could be in-line with the requirements and the transaction
considered a success.

Please explain what is meant by "opportunity for discriminatory behavior."?

By no way am I implying anything. Based upon my scenario above there is an
opportunity for a "most favored nation" status which could allow  for
preference in the amount of time a request spends in the "queue".  Queue
jumping may occur and preferences given to certain registries to the
detriment of others. So although the step SLE time is similar for two
different requests, the overall implementation time could be different.

I will take a look at your proposed SLE document tonight/tomorrow (and BTW
thanks for all your effort on this).

I think it would be good for the DTA members to have a call to discuss and
give guidance to you once we have greater clarity of the impasse.

I have a CWG call on Thursday and I've been asked to "explain the delay"

in having the SLE published.... so keep up the good work. We want this
finished asap!

Best

Paul