[DTC CSC] CSC role in disputes between IANA and registry operator

Donna Austin Donna.Austin at ariservices.com
Tue Apr 14 19:52:46 UTC 2015

Thanks Kim, that’s really helpful.

Based on the examples you provided, the CSC has no role in a), b) or c), and it might be worthwhile stating something along the lines in the Charter that the CSC has no role in disputes regarding ccTLD delegations or redelegations.

On timeliness questions, if you’re saying that 100% of these have been resolved in the past, then the only role for the CSC would be, in  my mind, as we currently have it stated:

The CSC may receive complaints from individual registry operators regarding the performance of the IANA naming function; however, the CSC will not become involved in a dispute between the registry operator and IANA.

Kim, I think I recall you saying previously that as part of the reporting IANA currently provides to NTIA that these instances or disputes are captured as part of a confidential report. If this is the case then it would seem that there is a process in place to bring to the attention of the CSC times when the RO and IANA have been in some dispute and the outcome.

I think at some point we, the CWG has to acknowledge that IANA already has processes in place that do work and this should be continued.

Donna