[Gac-gnso-cg] revised version of the slide deck -- still plenty oftime for revisions before our next meeting

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Sat Mar 15 22:54:05 UTC 2014

On Mar 15, 2014, at 5:38 PM, Manal Ismail <manal at tra.gov.eg> wrote:

> Many thanks Mikey ..
> A couple of remarks:
> -          I think slide 6 is supposed to replace slide 5, right? i.e. slide 5 will be deleted, right?

right — i just left it in so you would have something to compare my new one to.

> -          I believe we should be adding the Wiki url, unless this is going to be the one added to reference the charter

yep.

> -          Finally, on slide 6, I think the 2nd and 3rd bullets are redundant .. I suggest keeping the 2nd and deleting the 3rd , don’t know what you and other colleagues think .. I think the GNSO and GAC providing  feedback, implicitly means they approve the new version reflecting such feedback ..

ah!  another difference in the way we work.  in my working-group experience the feedback goes back to the working group, they digest it and produce a new draft for approval.  that’s why i split the two.  i’m learning a lot.  :-)

i’m fine either way.

by the way, i’ve drafted a motion for the Council to approve the charter in Singapore (i’ve attached it to this note) — our Council deadline for motions is coming up tomorrow and i plan to submit it in time to get on our agenda for Singapore.  it’s easier to amend or pull a motion off our agenda than it is to put one on.  so if there’s “big change required” feedback, i’ll just pull it.  Amr, you want to be the seconder?  between the two of us, we can handle any amendments that come up and Jonathan can watch over both of us.

> And finally to answer your question “what’s the goal for having the charter approved by the GAC and the GNSO?” I personally believe that:
> -          It’s important to consult at each milestone, as indicated in our charter
> -          It’s important to make sure both the GAC and the GNSO agree to the problem definition, the described objectives and the expected deliverables
> -          Having everyone agree on each significant step means that they will be ready to adopt our deliverables at the end (some sort of early engagement ;) )

sorry — i worded that question really badly.  i was really just looking for a target date for approval of the charter.  i think your goals are fantastic, but all i was going for was something to replace my little “??” in the target-date line on the slide.

> Not sure what my GAC colleagues think, but I don’t think we will receive the sought feedback/approval from the GAC at the meeting in Singapore, that’s why it was suggested to agree on a deadline ..

yep, that’s where i was trying to go too.  sorry about that.

> I hope I was able to address your points .. if not please let me know ..

yes — all good here.

thanks,

mikey

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)