[Gnso-bylaws-dt] MP3 and Attendance - GNSO Bylaws Implementation Drafting Team- 31 August 2016

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Wed Aug 31 14:45:17 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the GNSO Bylaws Implementation Drafting Team- call held on Wednesday 31 August 2016 at 13:00 UTC at: <http://mailer.samanage.com/wf/click?upn=BicbgE3FNUxHuHwOPdgXp7PxnHhpBITaBzfgAxdndi-2Fxhi6wcRFjVZkNcS5ARyJAKrvIH79AGQuW9Kf5E8Ciov7IWtxTFyKLuYk0QTFNt0s-3D_QuA5zZR9ZZ7J1F2FeF-2FOsgm1hgIDcBrAX2P7Ezxmql7ckJc4ios1-2BxObAoz2rzLSI3c4QB1NGo7bw7XrBjpRCbz74w4vzk48UxZMFoBBQBQaQ0ePdiOjdJ30sQNHkokOf-2F2p-2FBvMgKvMhzp-2B4u8fP-2BRrSytHe2KCf2HpQmtSbpelNa3iorDsDwx7rbvtK19CxbnzsEqZKOW5Sd00RXWVtK-2FVKf0UsLDKgF9PLaG8mj2b5wSlcsJg51nqBBoUQjrDAJG-2BOHAL7P6zurg94PXwt-2Fx5m-2FHt2K-2FNSdml9Qff1SoZAQT0CT6JYU3x3NoojyNUYa2pzgZ-2FIM4hBp4SsdTHMjQdZ3fCDOxfPiV0d6TNn-2BlRVNggfvSFdUute7aocg3-2F5eZzrx-2Bwwoe-2BURCaD0utGDfoJfcaK44R1nVN-2FA9IYi0Q0aDCXTbCKg9uhmZi4X-2F94PZwlh60ZLiuDxrK-2FZSb2qYnMq5-2Fjf1BfqIO-2Ba19KheLgBfyBID5HCnk76SD1vcZEncVKDioVrRiadUoHxUd3g-3D-3D> https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-bylaws-implementation-31aug16-en.mp3 <https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-bylaws-implementation-31aug16-en.mp3>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Farzaneh Badii
Steve Metalitz
Darcy Southwell
Amr Elsadr
David Maher
Edward Morris
Steve Debianco

Apologies: Matthew Shears

ICANN staff:
Julie Hedlund
Emily Barabas
Nathalie Peregrine

DT wikispace: https://community.icann.org/x/yhCsAw

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Nathalie

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 31 August 2016

   Nathalie Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the GNSO Bylaws Implementation Drafting Team on Wednesday 31 August 2016 at 1300 UTC

  Nathalie Peregrine:Meeting page: https://community.icann.org/x/sRasAw
  Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:Do need the help, Amr
  Amr Elsadr:Sure Steve. Thanks.
  Farzaneh Badii:we hear you Julie
  Julie Hedlund:Many apologies.  My phone died.
  Julie Hedlund:Dialing back in.
  Julie Hedlund:Please continue your conversation.
  Edward Morris:Fine with me
  Darcy Southwell:Fine with me
  Amr Elsadr:Sounds good.
  Farzaneh Badii:fine
  Nathalie Peregrine:noted: weekly meetings for90 mins
  steve metalitz:OK w me.  re weekly calls
  Julie Hedlund:Joining back in.
  Julie Hedlund:I heard 90 minutes at this time each week -- correct?
  Farzaneh Badii:yes
  steve metalitz:Annex D is separate doc
  Farzaneh Badii:am I having connection issues? I can't hear Steve
  Farzaneh Badii:yes it's me sorry about that
  Farzaneh Badii:what is our starting point? we go with the order of document?
  Edward Morris:Correct Steve.
  Amr Elsadr:There are also new processes in the operating procedures that the Council oversees, which do not involve the PDP, such as the GNSO Input Process.
  Amr Elsadr:So the Council role has already expanded beyond its traditional role.
  Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:RIght, that was my point Amr.   Agree
  Amr Elsadr:Also, Article X, section 3.7 refers to the Council Chair as the "GNSO Chair", so may be helpful in considering extra PDP activities.
  Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:New Bylaws describe how PTI, CSC, IFR recommendations come from "Council".    Was that something that CWG and CCWG had in our final reports?
  Amr Elsadr:@SteveDB: +1
  Amr Elsadr:Very much agree with Steve. In any case, each type of motion on Council has different voting thresholds (adopting recs on consensus policies vs. initiating PDPs vs. non consensus policy recs). No reason to assume that there is a de facto voting threshold we need to use.
  Edward Morris:Although certainly willing to consider some creative decisionmaking alternatives, any alternative should respect the current power balance within the GNSO, including the role of the NCA's..
  steve metalitz:Steve DB are you referring anything outside 17.3.d?
  Farzaneh Badii:16.3 mentions council too
  Julie Hedlund:@Steve: It occurs elsewhere.
  Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:17.3 d Amendments to the CSC Charter shall not be effective unless ratified by the vote of a simple majority of each of the ccNSO and GNSO Councils pursuant to each such organizations’ procedures
  Farzaneh Badii:Is this deadline realistic? I am a bit worried we might not be able to meet it.
  Julie Hedlund:@Steve DelBianco: I have captured that as an action item in the notes.  I will take that action.
  Darcy Southwell:Yes
  Edward Morris:Yes
  Amr Elsadr:Sounds right Steve.
  Julie Hedlund:@Steve DelBianco: Per staff that is the intent of the charter.  An implementation plan, but not development of the procedures.  That can come after.
  Farzaneh Badii:so we just need to decide on implementation plan.
  Farzaneh Badii:that's a bit easier
  Edward Morris:The goal in setting the deadline was to have it completed by the date of the transition. The next Council meeting, which will consider our outout, is October 13th.
  Amr Elsadr:Just a bit. ;-)
  Farzaneh Badii:no
  steve metalitz:@Steve DB -- agree re safeguards built into EC thresholds.  But we may wish to have additional safeguard.
  Darcy Southwell:Even if we come up with Steve's proposed two rules, we still have to test them against each power to ensure they work.  It may be that they generally work but that certain powers require a more specific solution.
  Amr Elsadr:@SteveDB: If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting coming up with principles to guide our work, which sounds good to me.
  Steve DelBianco [GNSO - CSG]:It's a bit more than principles, Amr
  Edward Morris:No
  Edward Morris:Correct Steve
  Julie Hedlund:@Steve DelBianco: That is correct I believe.  I can check. (no changes to Council structure in the GNSO Review)
  Julie Hedlund:@Steve: I will check.  I think not.
  Amr Elsadr:I'm not sure how we would go about priotitizing things here. If Steve could provide examples on how this could be practically done, I'd be grateful.
  Amr Elsadr:Sorry. That was me. Got dropped off the call.
  Julie Hedlund:@Steve DelBianco: This call was scheduled for 60 minutes.
  Nathalie Peregrine:Amr, we're dialing you bacl
  Nathalie Peregrine:back
  Amr Elsadr:Thanks.
  Julie Hedlund:Subsequent calls will be scheduled for 90 minutes.
  Nathalie Peregrine:Amr is back on
  Edward Morris:Or an Inspection request
  Amr Elsadr:On the last action item, I don't think GNSO structural issues were addressed at all in the last review.
  Julie Hedlund:@Amr: I think that is correct, but I will checking nonetheless.
  Amr Elsadr:I'm fine to stay on for another 30 minutes.
  Darcy Southwell:I unfortunately have another committment today so have to drop
  Nathalie Peregrine:@ Steve, and all, so confirmed same date and time for weekly meetings?
  Nathalie Peregrine:Perfect thanks
  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.
  Farzaneh Badii:bye