[Gnso-bylaws-dt] PLEASE READ: URGENT NEXT STEPS to finalising our work

Ariel Liang ariel.liang at icann.org
Fri Oct 11 01:42:20 UTC 2019

Hello Heather, Tatiana, and all,

Thank you very much for Heather’s and Tatiana’s very thorough review!!

Update: Staff have cleaned up the documents based on Heather’s and Tatiana’s input, and in particular,  “harmonized” the guidelines for 1.3/1.4, 2.2/2.3, 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 by porting changes in applicable sections. We also ported stylistic/formatting changes to 4.2/4.3 and 18.12.

However, we noted one substantive point on the 1.3/1.4 Rejection Action guideline (please see pages 6-7): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jXc2TQCv4ArMo0LPzTrLncIG_JwSnuQqV05xvrApg6E/edit#heading=h.hy4or9z73yzo

Is the eventual GNSO Council vote to support, object to, or abstain from the Approval Action a supermajority vote, or simple majority?

Bylaws Section 11.3(j)(iv) reads:
“Amendments to Fundamental Bylaws and Article Amendments as contemplated by Section 25.2 of the Bylaws, Asset Sales, as contemplated by Article 26 of the Bylaws, amendments to ICANN Articles of Incorporation: requires an affirmative vote of a GNSO Supermajority.”

In the original version of this guideline, it was noted that the decision shall be taken by a GNSO Council simple majority vote. We just made the correction in redline on pages 6-7. We would appreciate a sanity check from the Drafting Team on this point.

Again, thank you for everyone for your final review, which continues till Friday, 11 October COB ☺

Best Regards,
Ariel