[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Preparation for today's call

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 08:22:11 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

I'd like herewith to circulate ver.6 of the straw man and a list of the remaining major themes of which I'm aware, so that it is handy for today's call.

Going through the document, the only other major theme I spotted was legacy data (which we did discuss last week). This certainly doesn't mean that there are no more major themes, just that I have looked at this document so many times I am no longer seeing them. You are more than welcome to bring them up before or during the call.

Incidentally, UCL's email system has now recovered from last week's forwarding problems.

Regards,

Chris.

==

Some of the themes still requiring attention are:

1.    Is it within the remit of this group to consider the purpose of data? Purpose is certainly covered in detail in the 'Final report from the EWG on gTLD Directory Services'. I fear we cannot ignore purpose, as there is a close link to need for accuracy (which again is linked to how any transformation is done). As I mentioned during the call, asking the question "Which purposes may be adequately fulfilled with inaccurate data?" may be a useful approach.

2.    During the call I wasn't sure what to do with registrants applying for domain names in languages not typically supported in a country - for example, a Russian applying to a Chinese registrar for a Russian Cyrillic domain name. Presumably registrars would do a business analysis; in this case Chinese registrars would decide whether to sell Russian Cyrillic domain names. If the guidelines in the straw man are followed, the Russian would be inputting data in Russian Cyrillic.

3.    For those stakeholders who do decide to transform, how binding are our recommendations?

4.    The draft was written, presuming that allowing registrants optionally to transform data could be an easy way of building up transformed data in the database. However, such optional transformation raises data quality, matching and versioning problems. Do we actually want actively to discourage transformation and have a simpler database with data only in original language and script?