[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] RE: MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 14 August 2014

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 08:37:17 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for yesterday’s discussion.

Some of the themes still requiring attention are:

1.    Is it within the remit of this group to consider the purpose of data? Purpose is certainly covered in detail in the ‘Final report from the EWG on gTLD Directory Services’. I fear we cannot ignore purpose, as there is a close link to need for accuracy (which again is linked to how any transformation is done). As I mentioned during the call, asking the question “Which purposes may be adequately fulfilled with inaccurate data?” may be a useful approach.

2.    During the call I wasn’t sure what to do with registrants applying for domain names in languages not typically supported in a country – for example, a Russian applying to a Chinese registrar for a Russian Cyrillic domain name. Presumably registrars would do a business analysis; in this case Chinese registrars would decide whether to sell Russian Cyrillic domain names. If the guidelines in the straw man are followed, the Russian would be inputting data in Russian Cyrillic.

3.    For those stakeholders who do decide to transform, how binding are our recommendations?

4.    The draft was written, presuming that allowing registrants optionally to transform data could be an easy way of building up transformed data in the database. However, such optional transformation raises data quality, matching and versioning problems. Do we actually want actively to discourage transformation and have a simpler database with data only in original language and script?

This is certainly not an exhaustive list. Please feel free to suggest other issues (and also ones we didn’t touch at all yesterday). Text addressing these and other issues is very welcome.

Please note that there have been problems with email forwarding at UCL since yesterday, so I have put my underlying email address (ccaacdi at live.ucl.ac.uk) in the Cc field of this email to avoid delays.

Regards,

Chris.
--
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon>