[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 14 August 2014

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Thu Aug 14 15:13:13 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group call held on Thursday 14 August at 1300 UTC at:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140814-en.mp3

On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#aug

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO

Master Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Emily Taylor - RrSG

Chris Dillon – NCSG

Amr Elsadr – NCUC

Rudi Vansnick – NPOC

Jennifer Chung - RySG

Jim Galvin – SSAC

Ubolthip Sethakaset – Individual

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben – ISPCP

Wanawit Ahkuputra – GAC

Mae Suchayapim Siriwat – GAC

Patrick Lenihan - NCUC

Apologies:
Petter Rindforth – IPC

Iliya Bazlyankov – RrSG

ICANN staff:

Julie Hedlund

Mary Wong

Amy Bivins

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page:  <http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx> http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 14 August 2014:

   Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working group call on the 14th August 2014

  Rudi Vansnick:hi everyone

  Emily Taylor:Hi everyone

  Chris Dillon:Hello all!

  Rudi Vansnick:just back from holidays

  Rudi Vansnick:very limited internet access during 2 weeks is painful ...

  Amr Elsadr:Hi all. Apologies about the prolonged absence. Hope you're all well.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome back Rudi and Amr!

  Jennifer Chung:Hello everyone!

 Emily Taylor:This is my first call participating in the working group.  I come from Registrar SG

  Chris Dillon:Welcome!

  Rudi Vansnick:welcome Emily

  Emily Taylor:Thank you.  And thanks for the draft papers, Chris

  Julie Hedlund:I am in the process of getting on the call.  Called in but got dropped.

  Julie Hedlund:Back on

  Jennifer Chung:I have updated my SOI - to include my wgs and picture

  Jennifer Chung:sorry couldn't connect audio just now

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Jennifer

  Julie Hedlund:The document is unsynced.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Patrick Lenihan has joined the AC room

  Amr Elsadr:Can the document be shared in the AC Room?

  Emily Taylor:Sorry - acronym check - what's IRD?

  Amr Elsadr:Internationalized Registration Data.

  Emily Taylor::)  Thanks

  Amr Elsadr:;-)

  Julie Hedlund:Pardon me -- which document is being referenced?  I did not catch it.

  Amr Elsadr:@Jim: Is your concern about this WG recommending that IRD be provided as an option for registrants?

  Emily Taylor:I can hear you! but I'm not able to be heard.  Sorry

  Emily Taylor:Agree with Jim Galvin

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Emily, we can dial out to you if you provide me with a contact number

  Emily Taylor:on the costs and unintended consequences of two tracks of data, not knowing which is authoritative, and the legacy issue.

  Emily Taylor:I see Amr's question - I don't see IRD as being the optional bit, but a translation/transliteration as being optional

  Emily Taylor:Thanks for clarification Chris.

  Emily Taylor:I also got some feedback from our technical people, who were also questioning the value of having transliteration, and the difficulties/costs for registrars to have to validate such data

  Amr Elsadr:@Emily: I believe those concerns are reflected in the proposed recommendations.

  Emily Taylor:I think they are too :)

  Emily Taylor:Thanks for that, Chris. Very useful.  One other thing (that may already be incorporated in your thinking), is that even to have an option to transliterate/translate will mean creation of new database fields, and potentially lengthening and complicating the process of registration

  Amr Elsadr:Ah. Thanks Chris.

  Emily Taylor:Thanks Chris

  Emily Taylor:LOL

  Amr Elsadr:Isn't legacy transformed contact information presumably already validated?

  Amr Elsadr::)

  Emily Taylor:Ok back to typing

  Emily Taylor:Everything you say is very sensible, Chris.  My concern is that even setting flags to indicate that data is legacy or not will introduce costs for registrars potentially

  Emily Taylor:Is this something that has already been discussed?

  Emily Taylor:Thanks.  LIke others, I just got back from holiday, and would like to share with other members of the RrSG who manage large databases

  Emily Taylor:to get their views

  Amr Elsadr:I (with my limited knowledge) agree with Emily. I'm also not exactly sure what purpose it would serve.

  Emily Taylor:Thanks Jim.  Appreciate the clarification

  Rudi Vansnick:it looks like it is important to have clear view on the data model requests and the need for futher investigation on this topic

  Emily Taylor:Agree

  Amr Elsadr:OK. Thanks. :)

  Amr Elsadr:I'm wondering if there is a sense about the level of consensus amongst the WG on the proposed recommendations?

  Rudi Vansnick:very good question Jim ...

  Julie Hedlund:Apologies, but I have to leave to join another call.

  Rudi Vansnick:requires a lot of thinking ...

  Julie Hedlund:Thanks everyone!

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Julie

  Emily Taylor:To borrow from the Dispute Resolution world, it could also be language of the Registrar agreement :)

  Jim Galvin:I have to leave for another call.  See you next week.

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks to you Chris for the great work

  Emily Taylor:Thank you for your comments and chairing, Chris.  Very useful call

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Chris and all. Bye.

  Jennifer Chung:Thank you Chris and everyone.

  Mary Wong:Thanks for attending and participating, everyone.

  Chris Dillon:Thank you very much indeed!