[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 04 December 2014

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Dec 4 19:14:54 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group call held on Thursday 04 December  at 14:00 UTC at:
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20141204-en.mp3> http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20141204-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#dec> http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#dec

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO

Master Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Chris Dillon – NCSG

Rudi Vansnick – NPOC

Peter Green (Zhang Zuan)-NCUC

Jim Galvin - RySG

Justine Chew – Individual

Petter Rindforth – IPC

Amr Elsadr – NCUC

Emily Taylor – RrSG

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana – GAC

Mae Suchayapim Siriwat – GAC

Wanawit Ahkuputra – GAC

Apologies:

Jennifer Chung – RySG

ICANN staff:

Julie Hedlund

Lars Hoffmann

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx> http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 04 December 2014:

  Terri Agnew:Dear all, Welcome to the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG call on 04 December 2014

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:hello

  Chris Dillon:Hello everyone

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Hi Chris

  Petter Rindforth:Hi there, all six of you!

  Rudi Vansnick:hi everybody

  Chris Dillon:Hi Rudi

  Rudi Vansnick:still fighting with many deadlines

  Rudi Vansnick:strikes are not really very helpful

  Lars Hoffmann:Chris you are a host now - so scrolling should be fine.

  Terri Agnew:Mae Suchayapim Siriwat has joined

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:just some editorial comment , the  GAC full name is missing from the footnote on page 8

  Amr Elsadr:Hi. Apologies for being late.

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Amr Elsadr

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Terri.

  Amr Elsadr:I haven't had a chance to go over the last version sent (6). If possible, I'd like to send comments over the list.

  Amr Elsadr:I was referring to 6a in my last comment.

  Emily Taylor:Agree with Jim's suggestion about ordering of bullet point - expense first

  Amr Elsadr:+1

  Emily Taylor:Did you mean ccTLDs, Chris?

  Rudi Vansnick:ccTLD's have other relations to the data in the whois than the GTLD's

  Amr Elsadr:@Chris: Which point are you referring to?

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks.

  Justine Chew:pg 13?

  Amr Elsadr:My understanding of this bullet is similar to Jim's, in that this bullet addresses labels rather than the actual contact data.

  Amr Elsadr:@Chris: +1

  Amr Elsadr:Would we want to specify that the labels should be translated vs. transformed?

  Jim Galvin:i'm sorry I just had a conflict arise and I need to leave this call.

  Amr Elsadr:The Japanese use two local character sets; Hiragana for native words and Katakana for foreign words adopted locally + Kanji. :)

  Terri Agnew:goodbye Jim

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:ok

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:i got disconnected for a while

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:just want to add that i'm agree with the label transformation

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:and we might want to refer to the list of languages here

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:ISO_639-1

  Rudi Vansnick:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-1

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:and i might want someone helping explain more on how it will display

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:like.. on the interface of the registrar?

  Rudi Vansnick:Codes for the representation of names of languages — Part 1: Alpha-2 code, is the first part of the ISO 639 series of international standards for language codes. Part 1 covers the registration of two-letter codes. There are 136 two-letter codes registered. The registered codes cover the world's major languages.

  Petter Rindforth:Can thar be done in a way that is easily searchable for anyone looking for the contyact information - "A quick search"?

  Rudi Vansnick:See also IETF language tag.

  Emily Taylor:I'd suggest that we try to think of an "on the fly" type of translation of the labels both for people entering data and for people searching data

  Emily Taylor:Otherwise it could become very cumbersome and expensive

  Rudi Vansnick:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag

  Rudi Vansnick:if we could stick to the IETF than we respect the Internet standards

  Emily Taylor:We could suggest a minimalist approach (6 UN languages)

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:or at least the language that has ccTLDs

  Rudi Vansnick:question : which limit do we foresee (number of languages) ? could exclude important ones

  Emily Taylor:I understand that over 90% of the world's population speak about 70 languages

  Emily Taylor:That might miss first language for many.

  Emily Taylor:But it's a bit more tractable than the 6,000 that UNESCO believe in existence

  Rudi Vansnick:is it our duty to define the number of languages ?

  Emily Taylor:The UN languages may be unsatisfactory, but there is a certain consistency in that it kind of works in the UN environment and people are used to it

  Rudi Vansnick:let us not forget the target market is GTLDs and there could be GLTD's that only address specific region

  Amr Elsadr:To be clear, are we suggesting that the data labels are available in local languages/scripts, but only translated to (for example) the 6 UN languages?

  Emily Taylor:Good point, Amr

  Petter Rindforth:Agree

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:agree

  Peter Green (CONAC):Hi everybody,maybe the point I wanna mention is not the point being discussed by you guys now.I would like to pick up with an issue that has always been haunting me since joining this group.

  Peter Green (CONAC):In Page 10 we have the agreement that "the main purpose of transformed  data is to allow those not familiar with the original script of a contact information entry, to contact the registrant", then following "[t]his means that the accuracy of contact information data that are entered and displayed is paramount."

  Peter Green (CONAC):I think there is a logical issue here, which we may have missed.

  Peter Green (CONAC):My point is, starting from the need of "contact", how is it possible or likely for those unfamiliar with the originalscript of a contact information entry to contact the registrant"?

  Peter Green (CONAC):How is it possible for an English speaker to contact the registrant who registers a domain name in Arabic?How is it likely for a Chinese to contact the registrant who registers a domain name in Russian?

  Peter Green (CONAC):I think we should do some discussion work on the "possibility", other than "accuracy" mentioned above.

  Peter Green (CONAC):It is the "possibility" that matters in regards to whether transformation is "mandatory".

  Peter Green (CONAC):thanks Chris

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:just to be clear, have we narrowed down the scope to trasforming label only ?

  Peter Green (CONAC):currently,i think it is

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:oh... i c

  Amr Elsadr:@Chris: Yes. That's the conundrum. :)

  Emily Taylor:Agree with point about registrars should be able to offer services in whatever language is convenient. It's an area we do need to unpack a bit more

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:ok. Thanks Chris

  Emily Taylor:Amr's earlier point was useful.  My understanding is that - going with a UN language parallel - my understanding is that people can speak in their own language, and it will be translated *into* those 6 languages.  So, in a WHOIS context, if  UTF8 is supported data labels and input can be in local languages

Emily Taylor:And then maybe we could explore "what if the data labels were available in a limited number of languages"

  Amr Elsadr:@Emily: Thanks. That's the direction I was trying to head us into. :)

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:+1

  Emily Taylor:Chris on the marketing point, I'm thinking, leave the marketing up to the channel, and provide tools *after the fact* for others to understand what the labels mean

  Amr Elsadr:@Emily: +1

  Rudi Vansnick:@Amr : +1

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:+1 with Amr

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:we just point then how to translate correctly. like if you have the code TH in ISO691 then you can look up to use the word "ไทย" if you plan to serve Thai Customer

  Emily Taylor:@Chris on your consistency point, it seems do-able to have a consistent data set in a limited number of languages

  Amr Elsadr:Yes. I would think it is far more doable than consistency with actual contact data. :)

  Emily Taylor::)

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Thanks all :)

  Emily Taylor:Thank you Chris. Great chairing

  Lars Hoffmann:thanks everybody, thanks chris!

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye. Apologies for being late again.

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Chris and to all of you for this fruitful discussion

  Chris Dillon:Many thanks, all

  Peter Green (CONAC):bye Chris, bye all

  Chris Dillon:Bye all