[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] TR: Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Charter Questions

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Mon Feb 10 16:52:00 UTC 2014

FYI

De : Anne.Van-Roy at ec.europa.eu [mailto:Anne.Van-Roy at ec.europa.eu] De la part de Linda.Corugedo-Steneberg at ec.europa.eu
Envoyé : lundi 10 février 2014 17:25
À : Glen de Saint Géry; gnso-secs at icann.org
Cc : CNECT-D at ec.europa.eu; Lars-Erik.Forsberg at ec.europa.eu; Eddy.Hartog at ec.europa.eu; Ardiel.CABRERA at ec.europa.eu; Daniel.SPOIALA at ec.europa.eu; Marta.SANAGUSTIN at ec.europa.eu; Linda.Corugedo-Steneberg at ec.europa.eu; Camino.MANJON at ec.europa.eu
Objet : Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information Charter Questions

Dear Mr de Saint Géry,

Thank you for your email concerning Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information.

In the European Union we already have a certain level of expertise on the topic since the Top Level Domain "dot.eu" is managed the Registry provider EURid in all available languages of the EU.

In the EU there are a number of Member States which do use characters other than Latin scripts (i.e.: Cyrillic, Greek). Is for that reason that EURid supports the 24 EU official languages and the dot.eu WHOIS contains Registrant but also Registrar data in Greek and in Bulgarian and in any other language.

In line with our strive for multilingualism and equal access online, the specific EU Regulation pertaining to the "dot.eu" TLD foresees that EURid performs the registration of domain names in all languages of the European Union. Therefore we are of the view that any Registrant should be able to express himself in his own native language anywhere in the Internet. Registrants should be given the opportunity to submit data to the Registrar in his own language when registering a domain name.

>From our experience, there might be extra costs for some of the involved parties (like the Registry, the Registrars and/or ICANN in the GNSO environment), but that should be budgeted in the ultimate interest of the end users.

As per your questions, please find our positive/negative feedback below:

·        Whether it is desirable to translate contact information to a single common language or transliterate contact information to a single common script // while Registrant information should be gathered in all existing languages and scripts, a translation to a single common language would be beneficial and ensure an homogeneous WHOIS resource.

·        What exactly the benefits to the community are of translating and/or transliterating contact information, especially in light of the costs that may be connected to translation and/or transliteration? // it facilitates registration for those Registrants who do not speak a common language or use a common script, while at the same time it makes easier the consultation of such data by parties (like Law Enforcement) who require a common language or who may face difficulties while dealing with non-Latin scripts. Registrants would have full rights when it comes to respect for multilingualism and Registrant data can be consulted/searched in a more homogeneous manner thanks to translation to a common language or script.

·        Should translation and/or transliteration of contact information be mandatory for all gTLDs? Yes

·        Should translation and/or transliteration of contact information be mandatory for all registrants or only those based in certain countries and/or using specific non-ASCII scripts? For all

·        What impact will translation/transliteration of contact information have on the WHOIS validation as set out under the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement? Validation will be more cumbersome provided there is no translation or transliteration

·        When should any new policy relating to translation and transliteration of contact information come into effect? As soon as possible, provided that it is reasonable.

·        Do you have suggestions concerning the basic principles to guide the cost burden discussion, such as the free of charge provision of the information, demand-oriented cost etc.?  In particular, the PDP WG is tasked with determining who should decide who should bear the burden translating contact information to a single common language or transliterating contact information to a single common script. // Registries should bear the cost of translation and transliteration of Registrar data, and Registrars should bear the cost of translation and transliteration of registrant data. As indicated above, this is the cost of making business. The additional cost should be budgeted in the interest of end users. The transliteration and translation should not have, in any case, an effect on the final price that Registrants bear.

We hope you deem this feedback useful.

Best regards

Linda CORUGEDO STENEBERG
DIRECTOR

[cid:image001.gif at 01CF267B.1C1F4D00]
European Commission
Communications networks, Content and Technologies Directorate-General, DG CONNECT
Cooperation, Directorate D

BU 25 06/24
B-1049 Brussels/Belgium
+32 22996383
Mobile+32-498996383
linda.corugedo-steneberg at ec.europa.eu<mailto:linda.corugedo-steneberg at ec.europa.eu>

As you may be aware, the GNSO Council recently initiated a Policy Development Process<http://gnso.icann.org/en/basics/pdp-process.htm> (PDP) on the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information; the relevant Issue Report can be found here<http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/gtlds/transliteration-contact-final-21mar13-en.pdf>. A more detailed background<https://community.icann.org/x/eTOfAg> is available online on the Working Group's Wiki<https://community.icann.org/display/tatcipdp/Translation+and+Transliteration+of+Contact+Information+PDP+Home> where you can also consult the Charter<https://community.icann.org/display/ITPIPDWG/3.+WG+Charter>. As part of its efforts to obtain broad input from the ICANN Community at an early stage and we have written to Ms Heather Dryden, Chair of the GAC, already to solicit feedback from the GAC where possible.

However, as the matter of translating and/or transliteration of Contact information will be of special significance for countries that do not use Latin Scripts, we thought it useful to contact individual GAC representatives. Please note that we do not seek an official position on this matter but rather would welcome any thoughts and/or experiences you might have and what the best practice might be or ought to be in your country on this matter. An informal response to any of the questions below or any other thoughts you might have on the issue of translation and transliteration of Contact Information would be very much appreciated.  Please send these to the GNSO Secretariat (gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org<mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>) who will forward these to the Working Group; ideally by Tuesday 11 March 2014.

Finally, our Working Group is planning to gather for a face-to-face meeting during the forthcoming ICANN Meeting in Singapore. We would be delighted if you could join our discussions should you be in Singapore at the time. We will renew this invitation closer to the time when we have finalized our meeting time and agenda.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Chris Dillon (Co-Chair)
Rudi Vansnick (Co-Chair)

Input Request
[...]
Do you have suggestions concerning the basic principles to guide the cost burden discussion, such as the free of charge provision of the information, demand-oriented cost etc.?  In particular, the PDP WG is tasked with determining who should decide who should bear the burden translating contact information to a single common language or transliterating contact information to a single common script. This question relates to the concern expressed by the Internationalized Registration Data Working Group (IRD-WG) in its report that there are costs associated with providing translation and transliteration of contact information. For example, if a policy development process (PDP) determined that the registrar must translate or transliterate contact information, this policy would place a cost burden on the registrar.
 Glen de Saint Géry
http://gnso.icann.org