[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Examples of addresses

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jan 15 14:03:22 UTC 2014

Dear Peter,

Thank you for the Mandarin example.

As I expected, a couple of questions: What is 里 lǐ doing in the address? Is 甲 jiǎ like a street or block, perhaps?

There are Pinyin rules for combining syllables and adding capitals, perhaps something like:
Běijīng shì Cháoyáng qū Xībàhé Guāngxīmén Běi lǐ Jiǎ 31 hào

Notes

-       Note that tone marks are normally removed in transliterated addresses.

-       The order of the Chinese address and English address is very different e.g. Jiǎ.

-       No hyphens before elements such as shì (city) and qū.

-       区Qū is translated as “district”.

-       The Chinese literally says Guangximen North (rather than North Guangximen).

Although政务和公益机构域名注册管理中心 (CONAC) has a commonly used English translation and acronym, I was told in Buenos Aires that there are many Chinese organizations with no English translations for their names.

Regards,

Chris.
--
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon