[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] Attendance and recording: Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP - Thursday 23 January 2014

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Thu Jan 23 16:15:01 UTC 2014

Dear All,

The next Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team meeting is yet to be determined. Notification will go out to the list shortly.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team  call held on Thursday 23 January 2014 at 1400 UTC:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140123-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>jan

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO
Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Ching Chiao; RySG
Wanawit Ahkuputra - Individual
Amr Elsadr - NCUC
Jim Galvin - SSAC
Sarmad Hussain - SSAC
Yoav Keren - RrSG
Pitinan Koarmornpatna - Individual
Patrick Lenihan - NCUC
Petter Rindforth - IPC
Rudi Vansnick - NPOC
Mae Suchayapim Siriwat - No SOI
Jennifer Chung - RySG
Peter Green - No SOI
Ephraim Kenyanito - NCUC
Justine Chew - unaffiliated
Peter Dernbach - IPC
Vinay Kumar Singh - Individual
Jaa Yoophoon - no SOI

Apologies:
 Chris Dillon - NCSG

ICANN staff:
Lars Hoffman
Mary Wong
Julie Hedlund
Julia Charvolen
Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 23rd January 2014:

Patrick Lenihan:Hi Peter!  Ed Morris says Hello!

  Julie Hedlund:Hello everyone!

  Peter Green:Hi Patrick

  Peter Green:Nice to see you in this WG

  Patrick Lenihan:I have much to learn...!  :-)

  Vinay Kumar Singh:Hello everyone!

  Rudi Vansnick:hello everyone, welcome to this call

  Peter Green:me too

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):Hi everyone

  Peter Green:hello Ching

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Hi everyone

  Amr Elsadr:Hi. Dialling in now.

  Julia Charvolen:Hello Amr, I will note you present

  Julia Charvolen:Jaa Yoophoon joined the Adobe Connect

  Amr Elsadr:Thnx Julia.

  Julia Charvolen:Amr joined the phone bridge

  Julia Charvolen:Echo is off now

  Amr Elsadr:Yes. I hear an echo too. :)

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):sounds like my audio is not working

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: I agree. I assume there should be an interest amongst GAC members on this PDP.

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):please skip me first. will get back

  Julia Charvolen:@ Ching you are not muted on AC, would you like for us to dial out to you

  Julia Charvolen:@ Wanawit you are unmuted on aC

  WANAWIT Ahkuputra:I already unmute

  Amr Elsadr:Don't want my original question to be forgotten: Will be finalizing the outreach letter on this call?

  Amr Elsadr:Will we be finalizing the outreach letter on this call?

  Julia Charvolen:Both Ching and Wanawit are on AC only

  Julia Charvolen:Please let me know if you would like a dial out

  Julia Charvolen:Ching Chiao is on the phone bridge

  Julia Charvolen:Sarmad Hussain joined the phone bridge

  Julie Hedlund:@Ching -- That is a good suggestion for engaging the GAC.  Staff can work with the Council to try to get this issue on the agenda for a GAC/GNSO meeting in Singapore, if we can't get a separate meeting.

  Amr Elsadr:@Julie, @Ching: +1

  WANAWIT Ahkuputra:GAc had the meeting with GNSO in Buenos Aires and  had speak about the intrest  in thsi wg

  Julie Hedlund:@Wanawit -- That you.  That is very helpful to know.

  Julie Hedlund:I mean Thank you.

  WANAWIT Ahkuputra:I could coordiante with the Heather and other GAC member especailly on the group that are non latin based

  Julie Hedlund:@Wanawit  -- that would be very helpful.

  Amr Elsadr:@Wanawit: Very good to know. So this PDP is not unkown to the GAC right now. I believe in all cases, we should still send the GAC a letter as soon as possible.

  Petter Rindforth:I support that

  Justine Chew:I found the Thai perspective useful

  Amr Elsadr:Getting individual and unique feedback from different GAC members might be especially helpful in benefits to communities and potential difficulties in transliteration.

  Amr Elsadr:I'm sorry. I didn't mean we contact individual GAC members. I meant sending the GAC a letter inviting individual members to come forward with responses.

  Sarmad Hussain 2:are there any specific questions we want to ask in the letter?

  Julia Charvolen:Please mute your microphone or speaker, there is an echo on the line

  Justine Chew:Are we providing input now? Or would be easier via email?

  Amr Elsadr:@Lars: Thanks. Will this include a letter to the GAC?

  Julia Charvolen:Please mute your speakers on Adobe Connect, there is a major echo on the line

  Amr Elsadr:I would appreciate some time to review this letter as well as the GAC letter.

  Justine Chew:Can we include a request for current practice for contact information via WHOIS?

  Amr Elsadr:@Justine: Hopefully we will get this from the registrars. Very important indeed.

  Julia Charvolen:@ all - Please mute your microphone, there is an echo on soemeone's line

  Julia Charvolen:we cannot hear Rudi

  Amr Elsadr:@Julia: +1. Very distracting echo.

  Amr Elsadr:Echo is gone. :)

  Julia Charvolen:Echo is gone, thank you for muting

  Patrick Lenihan:I am not receiving audio on the phone call-out.

  Julia Charvolen:@ Patrick - You have been muted on the phone line because of the echo

  Amr Elsadr:I like the questions.

  Julia Charvolen:is your speaker open on the Adobe connect

  Patrick Lenihan:Yes, there are no instructions for how to mute it.

  Julia Charvolen:On the adobe connect you have a speaker icon and a microphone icon

  Julia Charvolen:Please click on the speaker icon in order to mute

  Amr Elsadr:@Jim: +1. The model for access to whois data in the EWG status update report is very different than in its current version.

  Patrick Lenihan:Thanks!

  Julia Charvolen:the icon is the one next to  "meeting"

  Patrick Lenihan:Thanks - now I am deaf.  :-)

  Julie Hedlund:Here is the Latest Status Document from the EWG and it also is posted on our wiki: Expand all   Collapse all        Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Home            1. Meetings            2. DT Documents (Drafts published)            3. Charter            4. Proposed Questions & Taxonomies                1. What is contact information & What Taxonomies are Available?                2. Why are we doing this? Is this particular feature necessary?                3. Who gets access to what information?                4. Who are the stakeholders? Who is affected and what do they want?                5. How much would a particular feature cost and how to weigh the costs versus the benefits?                6. When would policy come into effect?                7. What should be mandatory?            5. Examples of Addresses            6. Membership and Mailing List Archive            7. Studies and Background Documents            8. Background            9. GNSO Translation and Transliterati

  Julie Hedlund:Sorry -- that is more than I expected to paste!

  Julie Hedlund:This is what I meant to post: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/43983053/status-update-11nov13-en.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1384213897000&api=v2..

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):I will also keep RySG posted about the progress of this WG

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):sure

  WANAWIT Ahkuputra:I could be the Laision with GAC as I also the GAC member myself

  Rudi Vansnick:Perfect Wanawit, we take note of that  thanks

  Julie Hedlund:All -- ICANN has requested a study  -- Study to Evaluate Available Solutions for the Submission and Display of Internationalized Contact Data -- that includes the following related questions: Document the submission practices of internationalized registration data at a representative set of gTLD and ccTLD registries and registrars.  Document the display practices of internationalized registration data at a representative set of gTLD and ccTLD registries and registrars.

  Julie Hedlund:The results of that study will be considered in the work of this PDP WG.

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Julie - interesting again

  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: Thanks. Do you have a link with more info handy?

  Julie Hedlund:@Amr:  Here is the link and it also is on our wiki under Studies and Background Documents: https://community.icann.org/display/whoisird/Study+to+Evaluate+Available+Solutions+for+the+Submission+and+Display+of+Internationalized+Contact+Data.

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):Hi Sarmad u r breaking up a bit

  Sarmad Hussain 2:I will try to type here

  Sarmad Hussain 2:1. is there a standard used for the transliteration

  Sarmad Hussain 2:is this done by registrant or automatically

  Sarmad Hussain 2:finally, if the transliteration is done by the registration then how is its accuracy determined

  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: Ah yes. Thanks again.

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):1. yes (Chi to Eng, not Eng back to Chi)  2. by registrant her/himself , sometimes assisted by the registrar  3. no standard / procedure to verify it

  Sarmad Hussain 2:thx

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):for "3" -- registrar will check the Chinese language part for sure, as this is required by the gov to ensure registrant identity

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):for the transliterated part -- i m not 100% sure about it but will check -- is that the registrar, as requested by ICANN, send reminder to the registrant that he/she must be responsible for the accuracy of domain names

  Amr Elsadr:@Sarmad: Does this study include registrars from countries using Arabic script? I see that there is a scheduled update on this study in April?

  Sarmad Hussain 2:yes

  Amr Elsadr:Great!! :)

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Ching for your answers to Sarmad's questions

  Justine Chew:@Julie: Yes. Can we please ask Margie Milam to inform us of the workplan timeline for the EWG?

  Julie Hedlund:@Justine: Thank you I will make the request.

  Peter Green:EWG will deliver its final report before Singapore meeting?

  Julie Hedlund:@Peter: I am not sure when the EWG will deliver its final report.  I will check with Margie when I make my request.

  Peter Green:Thx Julie

  Justine Chew:Hence request for workplan timeline for EWG

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):FYI next call on Jan 30 -- it will be chinese new years' eve -- will try to join but if not, will send update in advance

  Julie Hedlund:Happy New Year Ching and I hope you enjoy the holiday.

  Peter Green:Yes, we will have our Spring Festival

  Justine Chew:@Rudi: Yes, me.

  Amr Elsadr:Happy New Year Ching. :)

  Justine Chew:@Ching: Thanks for the reminder.

  Patrick Lenihan:Happy New Year!  I was in China for the last 3....

  Amr Elsadr:Happy New Year to everyone celebrating next week. :)

  Jim Galvin:I'm sorry but I do need to drop off now I have another meeting.  thanks!

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Jim

  Justine Chew:@Rudi: So we finalise the letter via email?

  Petter Rindforth:no objection ;-)

  Justine Chew:@Amr: +1. Can we post discussion on the wiki?

  Amr Elsadr:@Justine: It might be easier to do this on the email list. Would that be OK with you?

  Justine Chew:@Amr: Possible. I see staff's action to post on wiki too.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Thanks

  Ching Chiao (DotAsia):thanks Rudi, everyone

  Sarmad Hussain 2:thx

  Julie Hedlund:@Justine:  Yes, staff can help to capture on the wiki.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:sawasdee everyone

  Jennifer Chung:thanks everyone

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you everyone and Happy Chinese New Year!

  Peter Green:Thanks, brye everyone

  Patrick Lenihan:Thanks for tolerating my techie ignorance.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks. Bye.

  Rudi Vansnick:thanks Julie, Lars, Julia ...

  Justine Chew:@Julie: thanks, it helps to have a central repository of info.

  Justine Chew:Cheers everyone!