[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 06 March 2014

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Mar 6 15:39:07 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Charter Drafting Team call held on Thursday 06 March at 14:00 UTC at:
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140306-en.mp3> http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-20140306-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar%23mar> http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#mar

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO

Master Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Jim Galvin - SSAC

Ahkuputra Wanawit – GAC
Mae Suchayapim Siriwat – GAC
Peter Green - NCUC
Petter Rindforth – IPC
Rudi Vansnick – NPCO

Chris Dillon – NCSG

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana – GAC

Jennifer Chung - RySG

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben – ISPCP

Amr Elsadar – NCUC

Vinay Kumar Singh – Individual

Peter Dernbach - IPC

Apologies:
Justine Chew – At-Large

Ephriam Percy Kenyanito – NCUC

ICANN staff:

Julie Hedlund

Amy Bivins

Glen de Saint Gery

Lars Hoffman

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx> http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

GNSO Secretariat

 <mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org> gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org

 <http://gnso.icann.org> http://gnso.icann.org

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 06 March 2014:

Terri Agnew:Welcome to the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group on Thursday 06 March 2014

  Chris Dillon:Hello, all

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Hello

  Julie Hedlund:Hello everyone!

  Peter Green-CONAC:Hi, all

  VINAY KUMAR SINGH:Hi

  Rudi Vansnick:hu everyone

  Peter Dernbach:Hello everyone.

  Wanawit Ahkuputra:Sawasdee

  Jennifer Chung:Hi all

  Amr Elsadr:Hi all. Dialling in now.

  Mae Suchayapim Siriwat:hello

  Terri Agnew:Wolf Knoben has joined

  Wolf Knoben:Hello all

  Chris Dillon:https://community.icann.org/x/bgDRAg

  Julie Hedlund:@Chris: I can try to see if I can go to the URL and share my screen.

  Chris Dillon:Thanks

  Rudi Vansnick:https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/47251566/SO-AC%20.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1392913027000&api=v2

  Terri Agnew:Jim Galvin has joined audio

  Rudi Vansnick:sorry wrong link

  Amr Elsadr:I can't seem to find the final draft submitted by ALAC now.

  Rudi Vansnick:https://community.icann.org/x/bgDRAg

  Rudi Vansnick:it is at the bottom of the page ...

  Rudi Vansnick:exact

  Rudi Vansnick:sorry .. i was also on another tel call ...  available now

  Rudi Vansnick:multi-tasking OK  multi-listening not OK ;-)

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: I don't see why tranlation/transliteration would help manage the relationship between registrars and registrants?? How does that help?

  Rudi Vansnick:@Amr: in case of detailed information if issues are poping up with their domain name

  Lars Hoffmann:Just to remind the Group that the outcome of the EWG will form the basis for a subsequent GNSO PDP (see also  http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/active/rds)

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:+1 to Peter & Amr

  Peter Dernbach:+1 @Amr

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: Why do registrars need this info translated/transliterated to deal with popping up issues? I still don't see the association.

  Rudi Vansnick:if the registrar is not fro msame region and can not read the IDN data

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: Registrars are not required to provide services in all languages. If they do, it's up to them to be able to communicate with their customers. However, why would a registrar in Korea providing services in Korean for a Korean IDN be required to translate contact information??

  Amr Elsadr:Just as an example?

  Amr Elsadr:@Chris: Sorry, but which question are we on?

  Rudi Vansnick:@AMR : 6 now

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks. :)

  Amr Elsadr:Is this a final ALAC statement? It doesn't seem to be.

  Amr Elsadr:That comment makes no sense to me!!

  Rudi Vansnick:@Amr : this is quite a normal reaction from the EC

  Rudi Vansnick:protecting the user/consumer is at high level of priority

  Rudi Vansnick:especially by commissioner Kroes

  Amr Elsadr:Although I don't agree with the Thai GAC rep's comment, it does make sense as an opinion.

  Rudi Vansnick:i will have to leave the call 5 minutes befor ethe hour as I'm chairing another call  just after

  Amr Elsadr:Just that i agree with Kathy.

  Amr Elsadr:I would like to get input from registrars on this topic. They have far more experience than anyone else does on verification/validation practices.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:The suggestion would be each local language would need to most proper reference to refer to

  Amr Elsadr:If I'm not mistaken, the UPU addressing system is the standard for display of addresses in the 2013 RAA.

  Amr Elsadr:Just for the formatting.

  Amr Elsadr:I agree that it is cumbersome.

  Amr Elsadr:Especially if there will be a policy for tranlation/transliteration.

  Peter Dernbach:Thanks Chris, Rudi and All!

  Julie Hedlund:Thank you everyone!

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all.

  Jennifer Chung:Thank you Chris, thank you all.

  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Thanks all

  Chris Dillon:Thank you all.

  Mae Suchayapim Siriwat:thank you