[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 06 March 2014

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 09:23:02 UTC 2014

Dear Amr and Rudi,

This is just to pick some points out of yesterday’s discussion, partly for the benefit of those who may be reading the wiki or this list, rather than listening to all the calls.

I think we do need to encourage other groups to be aware of the implications our recommendations may have (for example additional fields in the data model for transliterated and/or translated forms). Perhaps this isn’t central to our charter, but as Rudi said, the implementation could be substantially slowed down if we ignore this aspect.

That said, Amr’s point about our needing to stress more the desirability of translation and/or transliteration is very important:
For example, “Do we feel that all contact information in all gTLD registries for all registrants should be translated and/or transliterated for the purpose of WHOIS look-up?”

As Rudi mentioned, the consensus is basically that it should, although Kathy Kleiman's post on the NCSG-Discuss mailing list (5 March, 2014)
https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=44960127
highlights that translation and/or transliteration could add to the financial burden of registrants.

Regards,

Chris.
--
Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities, UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599) ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/chrisdillon