[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 06 March 2014

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Mon Mar 10 17:02:37 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,

Apologies for the slow response.

On Mar 7, 2014, at 10:23 AM, Dillon, Chris <c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

[SNIP]

> That said, Amr’s point about our needing to stress more the desirability of translation and/or transliteration is very important:
> For example, “Do we feel that all contact information in all gTLD registries for all registrants should be translated and/or transliterated for the purpose of WHOIS look-up?”
>
> As Rudi mentioned, the consensus is basically that it should, although Kathy Kleiman's post on the NCSG-Discuss mailing list (5 March, 2014)
> https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=44960127
> highlights that translation and/or transliteration could add to the financial burden of registrants.

Is there consensus that translation/transliteration is desirable?? If so, I am in the minority opposing this consensus. So far, I have yet to see one convincing reason to make me think that it is (desirable). Could someone please point one or more out to me?? I’m starting to think that I’ve missed something.

Thanks.

Amr