[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 26 February 2015

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Thu Feb 26 23:29:50 UTC 2015

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group call held on Thursday 26 February 2015  at 14:00 UTC at:
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-26feb15-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#feb
The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO
Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Chris Dillon – NCSG
Jim Galvin - RySG
Amr Elsadr – NCUC
Ubolthip Sethakaset – Individual
Rudi Vansnick – NPOC
Jennifer Chung – RySG
Roger Carney – RrSG
Peter Green – NCUC
Sara Bockey – RrSG
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana – GAC
Wanawit Ahkuputra - GAC
Wen Zhai - RySG

Apologies:
Emily Taylor – RrSG
Petter Rindforth – IPC
Peter Dernbach- IPC
Julie Hedlund - Staff

ICANN staff:
Howard Li
Lars Hoffmann
Glen de Saint Géry
Gisella Gruber

 Wiki page: http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Glen

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
http://gnso.icann.org

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 26 February 2015:

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:็Hi all,

Gisella Gruber:Welcome to the Translation and Transliteration Contact Information PDP WG on Thursday 26 February 2015 at 1400 UTC

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Hi Hi :)

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:somehow I cannot connect to the local Mic.only the dial up option available

Chris Dillon:Hello Pitinan & Wanawit!

Lars Hoffmann:hello all

Chris Dillon:Hi Lars!

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:ah need to try log in agian

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:brb

Jennifer Chung:Hello everyone!

Gisella Gruber:@ Pitinan - the mic has been enabled so you should be able to speak through your computer mic

Glen de Saint Gery:Rudi will be late joining

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Thanks :) I thought it was my mic problem for a while , thanks!

Howard Li:I am on listen only mode

Lars Hoffmann:@howard: would you like a dial out?

Howard Li:this is Howard Li, ICANN Staff, Registrar Services

Howard Li:I am OK on listen only mode

Glen de Saint Gery:Apologies from Julie Hedlund as well

Amr Elsadr:@Glen: Hope all's well with Julie.

Amr Elsadr:Ah. Thanks. I'll check the wiki.

Amr Elsadr:Is what we're looking at here an updated version?

Jim Galvin:Jim is now on the call.  Sorry to be late.

Amr Elsadr:Can the document be desynched please?

Lars Hoffmann:@amr - done

Amr Elsadr:Thanks.

Amr Elsadr::)

Rudi Vansnick:welcome Jim and others of course ... sorry for myself being late

Jim Galvin:The intent of the email address is to ensure contactability.

Jim Galvin:However, there are practical issues, as you note Chris

Peter Green (CONAC):Sorry for being late too, lose connectivity

Rudi Vansnick:Amr: +1

Wen Zhai:I'm terribly sorry that i am late.

Rudi Vansnick:no problem Wen, welcome anyway

Wen Zhai:Good evening to everyone.

Amr Elsadr:Hi Wen Zhai.

Wen Zhai:Good evening Amr.

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:hi :)

Amr Elsadr:Looks like the RrSG/RySG are also trying to shift the cost to some easy to us automated solution. :)

Amr Elsadr:*easy to use

Rudi Vansnick:easy to use not equal to quality which is important in

the context of value of the data to third parties

Amr Elsadr:Yes Rudi. Certainly. :)

Rudi Vansnick:i would propose we clearly indicate there are free tools but without any guarantee

Amr Elsadr:I believe the answer to question 50 is out of scope of this PDP. We're only chartered to determine wether it's desirable to transform, not how.

Jim Galvin:+1 Amr

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:+1 Amr for the translation part

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:but for the cost , i do think it's not really about fee, but the liabilities

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:i mean not only about fee, but also the liabilities

Rudi Vansnick:@Pitinan : you're right ... fee is less critical then the translated value

Jim Galvin:I think the issue the RrSG/RySG are getting at is the feasibility of doing it, which is mostly out of scope for us but I do think we get to speak to this issue generally.

Amr Elsadr:@Chris: Agreed, but limiting our answer to why we believe it is desirable or not.

Jennifer Chung:+1 Jim

Amr Elsadr:@Pitinan: +1

Jim Galvin:A characteristic of "desirable" is whether or not it is feasible.

Amr Elsadr:Yes, Jim. Absolutely. :)

Jim Galvin:That's the level at which we get to speak to the question of "how".

Amr Elsadr:That's what I meant in my response to Chris. :)

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:for #51, I think 1. yes the validity translation will need people, at least for many years for now. 2. and the tranformed address need to be agreeed by the Data Owner --> registrant

Sara Bockey:+1 Rudi

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:+1 with Rudi, and +1 with Amr earlier with the focus on 'who should decide'
Rudi Vansnick:maybe it is something we need to put in the beginning of our report information

Rudi Vansnick:no comments ;-)

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:I start to think it's really no point transforming. because:If we need it unofficially, then it could be easily transformed by free tool without guarantee. And If we need it officially, then we need the validated one, in whatever lanauge.

Amr Elsadr:Was disconnected for a minute, but wanted to support Rudi's last comment. If a policy recommendation we make required contracted parties to send registrant contact data to 3rd parties conflicts with some local privacy laws, this might prove problematic. Another good reason why transformation may be undesirable. :)

Amr Elsadr:Sending could also mean cross-boarder transfer of data. From jurisdictions with higher data privacy laws to others with lower ones.

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:+1 with Amr , interesting issue

Amr Elsadr:This is an ongoing issue with the implementation of the "thick" whois policy.

Amr Elsadr:There is an ongoing legal review being performed.

Amr Elsadr:I think withholding consent is refering to publication of the transformed data.

Amr Elsadr:This is another policy question that needs to be answered, but not by this PDP.

Rudi Vansnick:refers back to the previous points ... and if today the WHOIS is changed there are also updates done

Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: Technically we could add to their responsibilites, but they obviously don't want us to. I don't want us to either, in the absence of good reasons why we should.

Rudi Vansnick:@Amr: +1

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:+1 Amr

Jim Galvin:@Amr +1 - I would add that the change needs to be logged and tracked.

Jim Galvin:@Chris - validating the transformation is reasonable but that's a different thing then what is referred to here.

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:@Jim, only if there is some standard way of transforming

Jim Galvin:Yes, I meant "a reasonable topic for discussion" not that I meant it was reasonable to do. :-)

Amr Elsadr:Ah. Thanks Jim. :)

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:i c

Howard Li:thank you!

Sara Bockey:Thank you