[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 12 March 2015

Glen de Saint Géry Glen at icann.org
Thu Mar 12 17:16:55 UTC 2015

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group call held on Thursday 12 March 2015  at 14:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-12mar15-en.mp3
On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#mar
The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO
Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Chris Dillon – NCSG
Jim Galvin - RySG
Amr Elsadr – NCUC
Petter Rindforth – IPC
Justine Chew – Individual
Jennifer Chung -
SaraBockey – RrSG
Peter Green – NCUC
Wen Zhai - RySG
Roger Carney – RrSG
Rudi Vansnick – NPOC
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana – GAC

Apologies:
Emily Taylor – RrSG
Peter Dernbach- IPC
ICANN staff:
Howard Li
Julie Hedlund
Lars Hoffmann
Glen de Saint Géry

 Wiki page: http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Glen
Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org<mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>
http://gnso.icann.org

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 12 March 2015:
Lars Hoffmann: Welcome to the Translation and Transliteration PDP Working Group on Thursday, 12 March 2015.
Wen Zhai:Good evening~
Chris Dillon:Hello, everyone.
Jennifer Chung:Hello everyone!  Many apologies for the recent inadvertent deluge of emails from my email server.  It has now been fixed - apologies again!
Amr Elsadr:Can't connect audio in the AC room.
Jim Galvin:could you release the scrolling on the comments?
Julie Hedlund:@Jim: I have unsynced the document.
Jim Galvin:Thanks!
Amr Elsadr:Do I need to dial in to join the call?
Rudi Vansnick:sorry  for being late
Rudi Vansnick:my adobe crashed 5 times in row
Peter Green (CONAC):then can the document be enlarged on the screen?
Jim Galvin:Unsync doc please...
Amr Elsadr:I haven't had a chance to go through the document. Would appreciate a few more days to do this. Thanks.
Lars Hoffmann:@jim. done.
Jim Galvin:Thanks.
Peter Green (CONAC):Thanks Jim, done
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Hi all, sorry im late
Amr Elsadr:Where are we on the document?
Amr Elsadr:Just dialled in.
Amr Elsadr:Thanks.
Amr Elsadr:How would the user be able to determine that the registered name holder has anything to do with the company, or not?
Justine Chew:Exactly, I agree with Amr.
Justine Chew:It's a question of how the registrar handles an registration application process.
Jim Galvin:And in the coming nTLDs it mightg also depend on the requirements of the registry , i.e., registration policies.
Justine Chew:What about privacy services by registrars - sometimes WHOIS won't even tell you who owns a domain!
Amr Elsadr:Aren't we discussing identity validation right now, which is actually not done in the current WHOIS setup?
Jim Galvin:Even if WHOIS won't tell you precisely who owns it it should, in principle, give you a point of contact.  That's the goal anyway.  :-)
Petter Rindforth:You know your pure bank id, and if you see that the domain name is registered by a physical person in another country, you can avoid problems  by this identification
Justine Chew:Correct, so if the registration data is invalid, then how does transformation correct that?
Rudi Vansnick:finally got dialed in .. what a misery
Petter Rindforth:correct, as a customer you only use the safe  and 100% correct info
Jim Galvin:@justine - precisely.  Transformation should be about display - nothing more nothing less.  That's what makes dealing with some of the issues put forth by IPC and others difficult to address in this working group.
Justine Chew:+1 Jim
Amr Elsadr:@Jim: +1
Amr Elsadr:Apologies for moving us into this direction. Probably unnecessary for the purpose of this PDP. It is associated with the IPC comment though.
Amr Elsadr:@Justine: +1 to your last comment too.
Amr Elsadr:Pitinan also raised an important point - the burden of liability as well.
Amr Elsadr:I'm not aware of any solutions that exist as per the IPC feedback.
Amr Elsadr:Not saying that they aren't out there, but recent studies indicate what Chris is saying; that the solutions available in the market that meet the needs of accuracy in transformation.
Amr Elsadr:*don't meet the needs...,
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:in fact, Thai GAC quite agree iwth this approach too
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:for Thai address system, it will be ‘transform' meaning mix of transliteration and translation .. so at the end it would be like table of mapping from Thai name to English name for each address component
Petter Rindforth:It will hopefully be a way to get official national accepted translation, and it may also cut the costs for the users
Justine Chew:Yes, bot mandatory but encouraged through changes in processes and policies.
Justine Chew:*not mandatory
 Petter Rindforth:MANDATORY
Justine Chew:@Chris, I meant to say not mandatory
Amr Elsadr:Popular. Probably not, but we can't do that anyway even if we wanted to. :)
Lars Hoffmann:the WG could recommend that the GAC look into this- and suggest that the the whois would benefit from GAC  action. but the WG / GNSO could certainly not compel the GAC.
 Justine Chew:...hence not mandatory but encouraged ...
Amr Elsadr:@Lars: We could recommed this, but I would aruge that a recommendation like that would be irresponsible. We haven't looked into the GAC's ability to do this accurately. A dedicated PDP chartered to look into this with the GAC may be needed to make that recommendation. Way beyond the scope of this PDP anyway.
Amr Elsadr:I certainly do not encourage this being included. Sorry.
Jim Galvin:@amr - I'm not hot for this but on the other I believe there is value in groups acknowledging the work of others and the value it might have had for them.  This is important for raising awareness aand priorities
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:sorry the mic doesn't work so well to day. so the long chat for two points here.
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:1. about the GAC vs mandatory.Agree with Jim saying that it's not the ground to make it mandatory. I think these are two saparate things. the standardization would be benefit. But that's not the reason for make it mandatory right now.
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:2. just want to clear about the 'standardization' at least from Thai address. we can't make the stardization for translation or standardization for transliteration. but we need the stardization of 'transformation' which is 'mapping' directly mapping
Petter Rindforth:Can we at least agree that it could be interesting to hear GAC's views of this idea?
Peter Green (CONAC):+1 Petter
Amr Elsadr:@Petter: The GAC's views on any topic are always welcome. My objection is in phrasing this as a PDP WG recommendation.
Amr Elsadr:This discussion should be taking place elsewhere, not on this PDP.
Petter Rindforth:Maybe there is a group within GAC than cn give us informal comments
Amr Elsadr:We should stick to desirability of transformatin being our primary issue.
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:I can try coordinate
Petter Rindforth:@Pitinan, yes good idea
 Peter Green (CONAC):@Pitinan, a good effort worthy of trying
Amr Elsadr:@Pitinan: This PDP can't even recommend who performs the transformation. Looking into actual solutions is IMHO a step further.
Amr Elsadr:Another huge discussion we haven't had.
Peter Green (CONAC):@Amr, yes, partially agree with you that, it is huge
Amr Elsadr:@Peter: Yes. Needs a dedicated effort/discussion. The decision shouldn't be based on ours.
Rudi Vansnick:26th i'm available
Rudi Vansnick:but as said we'll check this out
Rudi Vansnick:my audio today is horable ..
Rudi Vansnick:i will have to go through the recording to be able to catch up
Jim Galvin:Sorry I need to move another meeting.  Thanks all.  See you next week!
Chris Dillon:Bye Jim
Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.
Rudi Vansnick:thanks to all
Justine Chew:Cheers, "see" you all next week.
Sara Bockey:Thank you everyone
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:Thanks all, bye
Wen Zhai:Thanks to all. Bye.
Peter Green (CONAC):bye all
Chris Dillon:Goodbye all.
Jennifer Chung:Thanks all, good bye.
Chris Dillon:@Rudi email me if I’m difficult to understand.
Chris Dillon:I was speaking quickly to cover ground