[gnso-contactinfo-pdp-wg] MP3 Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP WG meeting - 19 March 2015

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Thu Mar 19 21:29:20 UTC 2015

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Translation and Transliteration of Contact Information PDP Working Group call held on Thursday 19 March 2015  at 14:00 UTC at:http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-transliteration-contact-19mar15-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#mar
The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO
Master Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Chris Dillon – NCSG
Jim Galvin - RySG
Amr Elsadr – NCUC
Petter Rindforth – IPC
Justine Chew – Individual
SaraBockey – RrSG
Peter Green – NCUC
Wen Zhai - RySG
Pitinan Kooarmornpatana – GAC

Apologies:
Rudi Vansnick – NPOC

ICANN Staff
Lars Hoffmann
Howard Li
Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: http://tinyurl.com/mpwxstx

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Nathalie

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 19 March 2015:
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Welcome to the Translation and Transliteration PDP Working Group on Thursday, 19 March 2015.
  Jim Galvin:on hold waiting to join call
  pitinan kooarmornpatana:hello all
  Jim Galvin:listening on adobeconnect at the moment
  Amr Elsadr:Hi all.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ Jim, I have warned the operator to take bells
  Jim Galvin:and now on the call, yeah
  Amr Elsadr:Apologies about not being able to go through all the review tool WG responses. I'll try to finish that up over the weekend.
  Amr Elsadr:Sorry to hear that Chris. Feel better.
  Chris Dillon:Thankyou
  Amr Elsadr:Internationally readable seems hard to define to me, although I suspect I understand what FICPI is referring to.
  Justine Chew:Hi all, apologies for being late.
  Jim Galvin:readable might just mean accessible.  it doesn't necessarily mean understood.
  Amr Elsadr:@Jim: +1
  Amr Elsadr:adding internationally to readable does not necessary imply universally readable, but I suspect that FICPI intended on something to that end.
  Amr Elsadr:Being cognisant that universally readable is also impossible to achieve. :)
  Petter Rindforth:I think we have to accept that "internationally" is the best way, noting that it will be impossible to make it "universally"
  Amr Elsadr:Apologies Chris, what's the question?
  Chris Dillon:http://gnso.icann.org/issues/ird/ird-draft-final-10mar15-en.pdf
  Jim Galvin:yes it was done manually
  Jim Galvin:speaking as chair of that group
  Jim Galvin:they do have some automation but we cleaned it up for the document
  Justine Chew:What was cleaned up?
  Wen Zhai:Good evening everybody~ Sorry i'm late. Forgot to update adobe.
  Amr Elsadr:Just thought the fast food example was an amusing one. :)
  Pitinan Kooarmornpatana:+1 :)
  Jim Galvin:I can not speak to the specifics of the transformation.  I don't recall.
  Jim Galvin:I'm am slightly amused , in a good way, that Chris is picking apart the example.
  Justine Chew:Right, so there is still automation solution which knows when to translate and when to transliterate.
  Jim Galvin:The only thing I think of to say is that we're trying to make a point.  Perhaps there are better examples but as I'm sure you can appreciate it it is all very difficult.
  Justine Chew:Sorry, I mean so there is still no automation solution which knows when to translate and when to transliterate.
  Jim Galvin:Hopefully, you're not going to suggest we explain all this in our final document, where "this" is what you're saying. :-)
  Jim Galvin:Also note we're trying to show an ideallyc final solution.  Whether or not it is achievable is a separate question.  :-)
  Amr Elsadr:Jim..., you might as well. :)
  Chris Dillon:chiyoda faasuto biru nishi kanda chiyodaku toukyou
  Amr Elsadr:An amusing attempt at transforming Arabic to English:https://snarla.wordpress.com/2009/05/17/its-less-funny-when-you-can-read-the-arabic/
  Amr Elsadr:@Jim: Haven't gone through this yet, but very eager to do so. Will try to go through it asap. Thanks for all the work from the IRD-EWG.
  Amr Elsadr:@Chris: That makes sense to me. Thanks.
  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.