[Gnso-dmpm-wg] WG Participation & Attendance

Berry Cobb mail at berrycobb.com
Mon Mar 10 23:41:54 UTC 2014

WG Members,

Below, you will find an extract of the Working Group Guidelines about
participation in a GNSO Working Group.  Participation is an essential
element to the success of Working Groups, but we recognize some that have
volunteered may choose to only be an observer.  We welcome all volunteers.
If you intend to only be an observer for this effort, please notify me
directly.  It will not preclude from attending a future meeting if you
choose to join, but it will assist us in maintaining accuracy with our
attendance records.

For those members that do intend to participate regularly, we recognize that
some may have scheduling conflicts with other activities preventing them
from joining a meeting.  In such cases, we ask that an apology of absence be
sent to the WG mailing list.  This will assist staff and Chair(s) in
planning for the upcoming meeting.  On rare occasions, a meeting might be
rescheduled/cancelled if the Chair believes there will not be sufficient
participation to complete the proposed agenda.

----

3.1 Participation

Members of a WG are expected to be active participants, either on the WG
mailing lists and/or in the WG meetings, although some might opt to take an
observer approach (monitor mailing lists and/or meetings). The WG Chair is
expected to make an assessment at the start of every meeting whether a
sufficient number of WG members are present to proceed with the meeting and
discussions. A sufficient number has not been defined in exact numbers in
this context, but should be understood as having a representative number of
WG members present. For example, the Chair may decide that there is not a
sufficient number of WG present to make decisions, but that there is a
sufficient number of WG members to have initial discussions on a certain
issue and following those initial discussions encourage members on the
mailing list to share their views before a decision is made at a subsequent
meeting. An attendance record will be kept of every WG meeting.

If there is lack of participation resulting in meetings being cancelled
and/or decisions being postponed, the Chair is expected to explore the
reasons (e.g. issues with the schedule of meetings, conflict with other
activities or priorities) and attempt to address them (e.g. review meeting
schedule). If there is no obvious way to address the situation, the Chair
should approach the Chartering Organization, Stakeholder Groups, or
Constituencies for assistance (e.g. request for additional volunteers to the
WG) on whether there is sufficient interest from the community to continue
or whether the work should be delayed.

----

If you should have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you.  B

Berry A. Cobb

Internet Corporation for Assigned Names & Numbers

720.839.5735

mail at berrycobb.com

@berrycobb