[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Updated MP3 IGO WG - Wednesday, 01 April 2015 at 1600 UTC

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Wed Apr 1 21:13:10 UTC 2015

 Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms Working Group call on Wednesday, 01 April 2015 at 1600 UTC at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-igo-ingo-01apr15-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#a<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr>pr<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#apr>

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
George Kirikos - Individual
Petter Rindforth – IPC
Phil Corwin – BC
Val Sherman - IPC
Jay Chapman – Individual
Kathy Kleiman - NCUC
David Maher - RySG
Mason Cole – RySG
Jim Bikoff – IPC
Jay Chapman – Individual
Paul Tattersfield - Individual
Lori Schulman - NPOC

Apologies: none

ICANN staff:
Mary Wong
Amy Bivins
Steve Chan
Yolande Jimenez
Nathalie Peregrine

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/97rhAg

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Wednesday, 01 April 2015:
Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the  IGO-INGO Curative Rights Protection PDP WG Meeting on the 01 April 2015
  George Kirikos:Hi everyone.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Hello George!
  George Kirikos:Hi Nathalie. How art thou?
  Petter Rindforth:Hi there!
  George Kirikos:Hey Petter. How are you doing?
  Petter Rindforth:The spring is slowly coming to Sweden, so I'm happy :-)
  George Kirikos:Great. :-)
  George Kirikos:My bank is a joke....30 mins on hold, grrrr.
  Val Sherman:Hi All!
  George Kirikos:Hi Val.
  Philip Corwin:Hello all
  George Kirikos:lol Petter!
  George Kirikos:Welcome, Phil.
  Philip Corwin:With ICANN, any given day can be a Fool's Day ;-)
  Mary Wong:Sorry - didn't realize we were going through the letter
  Mary Wong:This is the final version based on everyone's comments, which Phil and Petter will be sending to the IGO small group; they are reviewing it one last time prior to sending
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Kathy Kleiman has joined the call
  Mary Wong:Thanks for the very helpful suggestions, George!
  George Kirikos:Here's the video with ICANN President Fadi Chehade:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGwbYljtNyI
  Mason Cole:That's good to know, thanks Steve.
  George Kirikos:Will the GAC perhaps wait until after the next ICANN meeting (face-to-face) before responding?
  George Kirikos:(next meeting is end of June)
  Steve Chan:@George, I'm under the impression that it should definitely be prior to the next meeting
  George Kirikos:Thanks, Steve.
  Nathalie  Peregrine:Lori Schulman joined the call
  lori Schulman:sorry I am late. tough month but I am back
  Mary Wong:Welcome back, Lori, and congrats on the new position again!
  George Kirikos:Welcome, Lori.
  lori Schulman:thank you.
  George Kirikos:New position?
  George Kirikos:Might need to update Statement of Interest?
  George Kirikos:https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Lori+S.+Schulman+SOI
  lori Schulman:yes, I am now Senior Director for Internet policy for INTA
  George Kirikos:Congratulations.
  lori Schulman:I need to change my SOI. I haven't done that yet. lots to do.
  lori Schulman:I will do it after our meeting.
  DAvid Maher (GNSO - RySG):@ Lori  CONGRATS!
  Philip Corwin:Congrats Lori. As a member of INTA's Internet Committee I look forward to working with you in that context.
  George Kirikos:#4 mentions 6ter
  lori Schulman:Thank you David.  I appreciate that knowing you are a recovering TM lawyer.
  Kathy Kleiman:makes sense - tx for the discussion!
  lori Schulman:thank you Phil. I am very excited.
  George Kirikos:Didn't we send a letter to the GNSO Council saying that INGOs were off the table?
  George Kirikos:Thanks, Phil.
  Mary Wong:Note also that the Council may well amend (expand/limit/edit) our proposed language
  Kathy Kleiman:yes, agree
  Mary Wong:The actual Secretariat language on Phil's point is: "As stated earlier, the requirement for UDRP complainants to submit to a “mutual jurisdiction” does not prevent either party from initiating court litigation elsewhere.   Similarly, a State’s submission to de novo arbitration should not restrict either party’s recourse to a national court of justice (even though, for a respondent, this option might be rather theoretical if the State successfully asserts immunity from jurisdiction).  However, once the respondent has initiated a de novo arbitration procedure and thus concluded the arbitration agreement, the dispute would have to be finally determined by arbitration."
  George Kirikos:Ontario's consumer protection act, which I've mentioned before, makes those clauses void.
  George Kirikos:I'm sure similar laws exist elsewhere.
  George Kirikos:Here's NY state legislation making mandatory arbitration clauses void in some instances http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/GBS/26/399-c
  George Kirikos:Phil's hand is up.
  Kathy Kleiman:tread water - good term!
  Mary Wong:From time travel to treading water - Phil's on a roll
  George Kirikos:See you all in two weeks. Have a great day, everyone.
  Kathy Kleiman:tx for the meeting!
  Val Sherman:thanks All!
  Philip Corwin:Bye all