[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Misplaced deference to GAC advice, distortion of ICANN processes, pre-decided conclusions

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Thu Jul 20 00:20:02 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

In case you missed it, there was a nice article in The Register today
that relates to GAC advice, see:

"Amazon may still get .amazon despite govt opposition – thanks to a
classic ICANN cockup"

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/19/dot_amazon_icann/

---- quote ----
"An explanation of the NGPC's reasons for denying the applications was
particularly important in this matter, given the absence of any
rationale or reasons provided by the GAC for its advice and the fact
that the record before the NGPC failed to substantially support the
existence of a well-founded and merits-based public policy reason for
denying Amazon's applications."

Moreover, the panel noted that it was "unable to discern a
well-founded public policy reason" for turning the application down
and revealed that ICANN's New gTLD Program Committee had not even
discussed, let alone relied on, the conclusions of an independent
expert who had been hired to dig into the issue.
---- end of quote ----

This sounds quite familiar, just as the GAC issues 'advice' regarding
our policy work and fails to support that advice with well-founded
reasoning. We're obligated as a group to do the hard work, and not be
influenced by surrounding "politics", otherwise we'd be repeating the
mistakes made in this .AMAZON matter. As The Register stated, we
should be firmly opposed to:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/19/dot_amazon_icann/?page=2

"Distorting their own processes to arrive at a pre-decided conclusion."

Domain name registrants shouldn't be the pawns who are sacrificed in
the political games being played by IGOs in their secret machinations
with the GAC.