[Gnso-igo-ingo-crp] Consolidated results of informal poll constituting preliminary consensus call on Options A-C

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Mon Nov 20 16:07:46 UTC 2017

George:

Your referencing of the Wikipedia link to fear mongering illustrates exactly why I have taken personal offense at its use. I have provided a dispassionate analysis of the obstacles facing adoption of a Final Report containing  Option 1/A. I have not promulgated exaggerated rumors, sought to needlessly arouse fears, attempted psychological manipulation, or otherwise sought to sway WG members on the basis of fear. I further note that other definitions of the term associate it with deception and a desire to instill needless alarm.

As for my Thelma and Louise metaphor, my intent was to humorously conjure up a ready visual image for the concept of this WG voluntarily adopting a "poison pill" amendment that could doom acceptance of its entire work product. I seriously doubt that this cinematic reference instilled fear in any WG member.

A few minutes ago I again repeated the numerous policy arguments and pragmatic process considerations that are the basis for my non-support of Option 1/A and support for Option 2/C. There is no fear mongering in them.

I have spent eleven years as a participant in the ICANN community and have striven to develop a reputation for fact and policy based reasoning. I have been on the winning and losing sides of policy debates, and I have never attempted to smear the reputation, or question the motivation, of a party on the prevailing side. I cannot allow such allegations to stand unchallenged, especially as your allegation that the co-chairs have engaged in "fear mongering" follows upon what I believe to be equally baseless allegations that we have abused our co-chair positions to pressure the WG to deliver a particular policy result.

Any objective review of this WG's meeting transcripts and email list will likely show that you have been accorded more time and words to articulate your views that any other WG member. The policy options that you favored were two of the three options presented for WG consideration on our preliminary consensus call. On our last call I stated that the WG would welcome the submission of additional language relating to Option 2/C from you for WG review and consideration prior to a final consensus call. And you and other supporters of Option 1/A are free to include a Minority Statement in our Final Report if it does not achieve consensus support. In sum, your views have been accorded every procedural right and courtesy in the operation of this WG, and the fact that they have not received consensus support is, in my personal opinion, due to their inherent   policy defects and not to any impermissible psychological manipulation undertaken by the co-chairs.

In conclusion, I believe that your allegation of fear mongering is a direct assault upon my character and reputation and a violation of the ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en . I will provide you with one last opportunity to retract that allegation. If you do not I will be compelled to seek redress by other available means.

Philip