[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Thick Whois Status + Next IRT meeting postponed to Jan. 2015

Waldron, Joe jwaldron at verisign.com
Fri Dec 19 22:41:18 UTC 2014

Fabien,

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the status of the legal review required by recommendation #3.

In general, Verisign tends to agree with ICANN staff (and the EWG Memo) that using the EU Data Protection Framework as a baseline starting point for a more comprehensive analysis is appropriate.  Particularly given the mandate in recommendation #3 to go beyond the tentative, generalized observations contained in EWG memo, a memo which noted that "the present analysis is provided without respect to decisions made or contemplated by ICANN and is neither a detailed nor complete analysis of data protection laws within any particular jurisdiction", we also agree that further refinement of that baseline analysis, including a detailed and comprehensive review of the applicable law of specific jurisdictions, is an appropriate next step.

To that end, and because it is difficult to provide meaningful comment on such a complex topic without first understanding the threshold questions that must necessarily form the basis of such a legal analysis, we would suggest that ICANN share the specific questions that the legal review is based upon with the IRT, as well as which jurisdictions are being focused on as an initial matter.   With a better understanding of the "questions presented" for the legal review and the specific jurisdictions that are being examined, we believe the IRT will be much better equipped to provide meaningful comments and suggestions regarding the scope and nature of the legal review as a whole.

Joe