[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Thick Whois Status + Next IRT meeting postponed to Jan. 2015

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Fri Dec 19 23:24:17 UTC 2014

Dear Fabien,

Thanks you for sharing this status report.  It seems to me that the legal team is asking the right questions.  It will be important for it to maintain the focus on the legal issues presented by the transition from thin to thick Whois in particular, and not broader or less well-defined questions, such as those that may be pertinent to the other two activities mentioned in the status report (EWG and IAG-Whois).

In addressing the narrower issues presented to it, I urge that the drafters of the legal analysis to take into account the experience with the transition from thin to thick Whois of the .org registry several years ago.  The PDP Working Group delved into this experience as thoroughly as it was able to do.  As an active member of that WG, my recollection is that it found little or nothing with regard to legal problems under the EU data protection framework (under the 1995 directive, which remains in force today), or any other issues related to privacy/data protection, in the documentation regarding this major transition.  Of course, the files of the WG are available for  consultation.

I hope that the .org experience, as well as the registration and renewal over the past decade and more of hundreds of thousands of domain names in other gTLDs that employ thick Whois architecture, will be taken into full consideration in conducting the legal review and in assessing any legal risks identified.

Thanks again for sending the status report, and I look forward to reviewing the legal analysis in the near future.

Steve Metalitz