[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Open Item 7b - Coordination/Incentive for Registrars Migration to Thick

Susan Kawaguchi susank at fb.com
Tue Aug 16 18:35:36 UTC 2016

I agree with Steve that we should look at incentives to move the transition of domain name registrations to the Thick Whois.  And I agree that relying on  compliance to enforce after 18 months is not acceptable due to the compliance team’s collaborative actions with registrars, simple issues take much longer than they need to take,  this could push the timeline much farther down the road.

What if ICANN stepped forward and offered a monetary incentive to move the registrations to Thick Whois within a much shorter time frame?  A small reduction in fees for example.

I am sure there are other positive incentives that we could come up with but if not transparency is always valuable to the ICANN community as a whole.
Susan Kawaguchi
Domain Name Manager
Facebook Legal Dept.