[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Draft Thick Whois memo to the GNSO

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Wed Aug 31 15:37:23 UTC 2016

Thanks for providing this draft, Marc.  A couple of questions about it on a quick read:

(1)     The first two developments to which you cite are the invalidation of the US-EU Safe Harbor Program and the adoption of the EU-US Privacy Shield framework to replace it.  My impression is that US registries generally did not rely upon the Safe Harbor in processing thick Whois data (e.g., receiving Whois data containing personally identifiable information from European registrars and making it available through registry Whois), and so would not have been directly impacted by its invalidation.   Is my impression wrong?  If I am correct then what is the relevance of either the Safe Harbor or the Privacy Shield in this context?

(2)    The last paragraph refers to data localization laws apart from EU privacy/data protection laws.  Can you be more specific?  I note that the Russian law was referenced in footnotes 2 and 10 of the legal review provided to the IRT in June 2015, are there other issues not covered by that analysis?

(3)    If the IRT were to send this letter,  the GNSO council  might well ask what (if anything) we are asking them to do. How would you respond?

Steve Metalitz

[image001]
Steven J. Metalitz | Partner, through his professional corporation
T: 202.355.7902 | met at msk.com<mailto:met at msk.com>
Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP | www.msk.com<http://www.msk.com/>
1818 N Street NW, 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20036

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENTS. THIS MESSAGE MAY BE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT COMMUNICATION, AND AS SUCH IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT AN INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, FORWARDING OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY BY REPLY E-MAIL OR TELEPHONE, AND DELETE THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE AND ALL ATTACHMENTS FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THANK YOU.