[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Draft Thick Whois memo to the GNSO

gtheo gtheo at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 29 09:14:11 UTC 2016

Hi All,

The draft covers all bases and highlights potential issues down the
road, but it could use some more context perhaps?
Maybe it is an idea to add one simple scenario that could unfold and
mention, this is one of many?

Scenario, invalidation of Privacy Shield 2-3 years from now.

In October 2015 Safe Harbor was invalidated. EU Registrars used
"standard templates" drawn up by the EU.
This allowed us to continue to register domain names with American
located Registries.
Those who relied on Iron Mountain for the data escrow could continue and
were not forced to find a new escrow partner located in the EU.

The "standard templates" are currently being reviewed and most EU legal
experts expect these will be invalidated just as Safe Harbor. The impact
will be zero as we now have Privacy Shield.

However, Privacy Shield is expected not to last, and also be
invalidated, just as Safe Harbor (https://euobserver.com/digital/134322
).
When that happens EU Registrars will have a problem as we cannot go back
to those "standard templates", a solution that made sure we were not
breaking the law.
EU Registrars will then either stop registering domain names with USA
located Registries, or break the law, with the huge fines these days not
a great alternative. Or come up with a different solution, wich is most
likely not to be a speedy solution. Regardless, EU Registrars will be
hit hard.

But if everyone already thinks that the draft is clear enough, then we
can skip the above example, it is up to you guys.

Thanks,

Theo