[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Reminder - Due Wed. 24 Feb. COB - Transition - Input on Implementation Timeline for New Registrations

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Thu Feb 25 16:20:02 UTC 2016

Fabien and colleagues,

Our overriding concern, which I expressed in the Adobe room on the last IRT call, is the glacial pace at which ICANN is moving to implement the consensus policy on thick Whois.

The GNSO first requested an issue report on the question of thick Whois for all gTLD registries
53 months ago, on September 22, 2011. The Policy Development Process on this issue
commenced almost 48 months ago, on March 14, 2012. The PDP led to a final report published
28 months ago, on October 21, 2013, and the policy itself was unanimously adopted by the
ICANN Board over 24 months ago, on February 7, 2014.

When I asked on the call when all registries would be required to implement the thick Whois architecture, I was referred to a timeline providing the date of the end of 2017 - in other words, that it would take almost four years for a single registry operator to implement the consensus policy adopted in February 2014.

The Working Group final report that led to this consensus policy stated that  "implementation of one
part of the recommendation (for example, transition of existing thin gTLD registries to thick
model) should not unnecessarily delay the implementation of another part of the
recommendation (for example, the consistent labeling and display of such data)." In fact, it
seems obvious that exactly the opposite of the "example" envisioned by the PDP working group
has occurred: the priority accorded to the consistent labeling and display issues has substantially
and unnecessarily delayed the simple goal of requiring the one remaining operator of thin Whois
gTLD registries to bring its practices into line with those of every other gTLD registry.

The IRT's top priority now should be to set a firm date on which the main recommendation of the PDP Working Group will be implemented.

Steve Metalitz, IPC vice president