[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Contact validation rules review.

gtheo gtheo at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 20 08:22:13 UTC 2016

Hi Guys,

Let's get technical ;)

Contact validation rules.

-Name, organization, address 1-3, city, state.

According to the rules , max length is 64, some Registries do indeed
limit this to 64. however the EPP standard is 255.

I suggest Verisign sets this to 255, as it is very likely we will
encounter addresses longer than 64. I have seen addresses in India that
look like this: "#46, 1st floor, 4th Main road MLA layout, behind the
stadium, take the stairs right next to the cafeteria".

I am not going to guess how things are organized in other parts of the
world, again we are talking really old data and one can only suspect
that Registrars been using the EPP standard.

-Email

My interpretation here is that there is no support for IDN TLD's as it
must end with a 2-63 char string.

There is use for brackets regarding the domain name [].  Usually used to
email an IP address.  The regex actually prohibits this, but if you want
to support this then you support both brackets or no brackets, the
current specification lists them as individual optional brackets.

In the user part, the following characters are supported ! # $ % & ' * +
We actually do not support those as most registries do not support them
and we ran into some issues when we did support them back in the day.
That being said + is somewhat used, for example, Gmail to tag mail
(user+tag at gmail.com).

So all in all nothing major that cannot be adjusted in time and some of
it can be ignored if decided otherwise, some not, idn email support for
example.

Best regards,

Theo Geurts