[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] Additional suggestions.

gtheo gtheo at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 6 10:29:13 UTC 2016

Hello team,

During the calls, we mentioned that we should use EPP as Registrars.

To avoid some scripting issues is it perhaps an idea that Registrars
also can push the RDE Deposit format in addition to EPP?
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rde-specs-09nov07-en.pdf

Every registrar has to make these deposits and the format is the same
for everyone. Not taking into account Registrars who do not use Iron
Mountain for Escrow, but that is most likely a very low number.

It might be worth exploring if we cannot use the escrowed data to begin
with. If we could use that data then we are talking just one entity
migrating. The whole window of 12 months would not be required and as
such we would speed up the process and not risk delays when Registrars
start to migrate as late as possible for whatever reason.

 From a technical point of view, it makes a lot more sense since there is
already 1 place where all the data is stored.

Legal wise there are most likely a whole set of issues that we might not
be able to tackle. During Marrakech, the idea was rejected during the
Registrar meeting. Main reason we cannot use the escrow data as the
contract does not permit it. And Iron Mountain did only have the real
data and not the privacy protected data.

The latter issue seems to be resolving itself as Iron Mountain is now
requesting that data, I suspect on behalf of ICANN compliance.
We might want to check with Compliance to see what is up there.

Best regards,

Theo Geurts