[Gnso-impl-thickwhois-rt] CL&D - Your Input on Staff Proposals - Due Wed. 11 May

Anderson, Marc mcanderson at verisign.com
Thu May 12 18:34:12 UTC 2016

Fabien,

I'm responding to your request for input on proposal #2 below: "optional display of the Registrar Registration Expiration Date, with mitigation measures similar to that of the AWIP policy if displayed".

My assumption is that AWIP mitigation measures you are referring to are the requirement to add a link after the "Domain Status" field to an ICANN hosted page providing an explanation of the various status codes as well as additional information to the footer of a WhoIs query response.  For example:

Domain Status: ok https://icann.org/epp#ok

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

I am NOT a fan of the AWIP requirement to add a link at the end of the Domain Status value.  The Domain Status in my example isn't "ok https://icann.org/epp#ok"; it's just "ok".  I find the additional data in the response confusing and unnecessary.  I am not supportive of doing something similar for the expiration date.

Adding something to the footer of the WhoIs response is less troublesome to me.  A line providing users with a URL to get more information about expirations dates would not be difficult, but I would be interested in knowing what information would be provided at that URL.  Pending that I wouldn't be opposed to that approach for Registries that choose to implement an optional Registrar Registration Expiration Date field in their RDDS output.

Thank you,
Marc