[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Council report

Ron Andruff randruff at rnapartners.com
Fri Jun 22 12:45:46 UTC 2012

Wolf-Ulrich,

Thanks for this revision, but it doesn't resolve the matter as I had hoped.
As I noted in my previous email:

The question as to whether the SCI should put our work product out to public
comment (or send back to GNSO) seems to over-complicate the purpose of a
Standing Committee. The SCI role, as I understand it, is to knock off any
rough edges of processes that, in practice, expose implementation issues.
Therefore, it is neither NEW policy nor process; rather our work is simply
an effort to ensure that all of the gears fit cleanly into the chain that
drives ICANN.

For clarity the slide I am asking to be deleted is #8 which states:

Further steps:

.          How to deal with the consensus items?

- Back to council?

- Council post it for Public Comment?

.          How to deal with items raised by individuals?

I do NOT believe that SCI determinations need to go back to the community
for public comment.  The ICANN community is already overwhelmed with the
number of topics that need consideration and public comments - to add yet
more to that pile is antithetical to what the SCI has been chartered to do,
IMHO.

For my part, I would ask you to remove slide 8 altogether so as not to open
a can of worms, which could be avoided at this point.

I see our guiding principal as, "What makes ICANN function more
efficiently?"  Sending items of detail that simply streamline action back -
yet again - to the community for public comment is the opposite of that.

My two cents.

RA

Ronald N. Andruff

President