[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Actions: SCI Meeting 07 April 2013

Ron Andruff randruff at rnapartners.com
Tue Apr 9 04:09:53 UTC 2013

Very helpful, Mary.

Thank you.


Ron Andruff

-------- Original message --------
From: Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu 
To: gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org 
Subject: RE: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Actions: SCI Meeting 07 April 2013 
Hi Anne, I don't know if this will help but I got a few "clarifying questions" (heheh) from members about how it would work, so I created the following explanation. Feel free to use/circulate!

Alternative #1: Leave the decision whether to accept the re-submission and place it on the Council's agenda up to the Chair of the GNSO Council
Alternative #2.  Comply with ALL the following criteria, in the following order:

1. Re-submitting Councilor must provide the reasoning to justify the resubmission of a motion, no later than the usual deadline for submitting an original motion --  8 days prior to  the next GNSO Council meeting.

2. The text of the re-submitted motion must be published, no later than the usual deadline for submitting an original motion --  8 days prior to  the next GNSO Council meeting.

3. The re-submitted motion must have a seconder from each house as a prerequisite for placing the procedural question of accepting the re-submission on the consent agenda at the next GNSO Council meeting.

4. Any Councilor can ask for the acceptance of re-submission to be taken off the consent agenda -- in which case the question whether or not the re-submission should even go through goes automatically to a Council vote on whether to accept it.

NOTE: All this is just to decide if the act of re-submission itself is accepted -- the actual substance of the motion does not get discussed, or put to a vote, until the re-submission is accepted.

CONTEXT: At a recent Council meeting, a motion was voted on and defeated because two Councilors abstained without realizing that an abstention under the GNSO Council rules is automatically deemed to be a No vote. The question then became whether the motion could be re-submitted and re-voted on, at which point it became clear that the GNSO Council rules and procedures do NOT currently have a process in place to deal with the question. The SCI was therefore asked to look at the issue and recommend such a process.

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Faculty Chair, Global IP Partnerships
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
Email: mary.wong at law.unh.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php

"Aikman-Scalese, Anne" <AAikman at lrlaw.com>
"gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org" <gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org>, "julie.hedlund at icann.org" <julie.hedlund at icann.org>
4/9/2013 2:13 AM
RE: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Actions: SCI Meeting 07 April 2013
Thanks Julie. Is there any way I could get about 40 hard copies of the draft on resubmitting a motion to hand out at the IPC meeting Tuesday afternoon? Thank you. Anne

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

-----Original Message-----
From: Julie Hedlund [julie.hedlund at icann.org]
Received: Monday, 08 Apr 2013, 4:44am
To: gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org [gnso-improvem-impl-sc at icann.org]
Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Actions: SCI Meeting 07 April 2013

Dear SCI members,

Please see below the actions from the SCI meeting on 07 April 2013 and provide any comments or questions to the list.  Our next meeting is scheduled for 01 May 2013.  A notice will be sent out separately.

Best regards,


Julie Hedlund, Policy Director

Notes / Actions:

1.  Working Group  Survey: Julie will check with ICANN staff who are working with the consultants who are developing the ICANN GNSO training modules;  Julie and J.Scott will work up a proposal to have the consultants draft a new survey based on the feedback received from Mikey.

2.  Termination/Suspension of a PDP: Julie will prepare a redlined version of the PDP Manual and a motion for the SCI to consider to be submitted to the Council by Wolf-Ulrich Knoben once it is approved by the SCI.

3.  Resubmitting a Motion: Under review this week by the ISP and NCUC Constituencies.

4.  SCI Charter Revisions: Continue discussions at the next meeting; Julie and Marika provided transcript and background on the development of the original charter.


For more information about Lewis and Roca LLP, please go to www.lewisandroca.com.

Phoenix (602)262-5311
Reno (775)823-2900
Tucson (520)622-2090
Albuquerque (505)764-5400                 
Las Vegas (702)949-8200                  
Silicon Valley (650)391-1380                  
  This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the sender of this E-Mail by return E-Mail or by telephone.
  In accordance with Internal Revenue Service Circular 230, we advise you that if this email contains any tax advice, such tax advice was not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-improvem-impl-sc/attachments/20130409/c01ae7e4/attachment.html>

More information about the Gnso-improvem-impl-sc mailing list