[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 SCI meeting - Tuesday 03 December 2013 at 2000 UTC

Julia Charvolen julia.charvolen at icann.org
Wed Dec 4 09:41:43 UTC 2013

Dear All,

The next Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation meeting will be held on Tuesday 17 December at 2000 UTC.

Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation meeting held on Tuesday, 03 December 2013 at 20:00UTC.
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20131203-en.mp3

On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#oct>dec
(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:
Ray Fassett- RySG - Primary
Ronald Andruff – Commercial and Business Users Constituency – Primary – Chair
Angie Graves - Commercial and Business Users Constituency – Alternate
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben – ISPCP – Primary
Mikey O’Connor  – ISPCP – Alternate
Avri Doria – Non Commercial SG – Primary – Vice-Chair
Amr Elsadr – NCUC - Alternate
Jennifer Wolfe – NCA - primary
Greg Shatan – IPC – Alternate
Marie Laure Lemineur – NPOC - Primary

Apologies:
Thomas Rickert - NCA

ICANN Staff:
Julie Hedlund
Mary Wong
Julia Charvolen

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Julia Charvolen
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Connect chat transcript 03 December 2013:
 Mike O'Connor:hi Julia
  Mike O'Connor:i'm gonna dial in...
  Julia Charvolen:great
  Ron A:Hi all! Just getting on the call...
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:Hello
  Amr Elsadr:Hi. Just dialled in.
  Amr Elsadr:Same here, Ron.
  Ron A:Agreed, Mikey.  We will circulate today for the members' review.
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:@Amr, agreed..
  Greg Shatan:I am now dialed in.
  Amr Elsadr:Considering the outcome of the WG in the last few weeks, I even believe some of the answers might change. Positive effect for our purpose.
  Julia Charvolen:Greg Shatan joined the phone bridge
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:I am just reading it. But is there a limit in terms of number of times it could be re-submitted ?
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:thanks!
  Mike O'Connor:astounding!  way to go Greg.
  Mike O'Connor:"tabled" is confusing in an international context
  Mary Wong:Yes, perhaps this group can consider an alternative word or just leaving it as "withdrawn" for the example)
  Avri Doria:Apologies, I need to leave now.
  Ron A:Thanks Avri
  Mike O'Connor:see ya Avri
  Avri Doria:Will worth with Thomas on email voting before next mtg. I hope.
  Mary Wong:Thanks Avri!
  Avri Doria:Work with ...
  Wolf Knoben: do we need No. 4 at all?
  Ron A:So we should postpone the discussion on email voting?
  Ron A:As I don't see Thomas in meeting room...?
  Wolf Knoben:we don't use "tabled" in the GNSO rules
  Amr Elsadr:Great. Thanks again Greg.
  Julie Hedlund:Thomas sent his apologies just a few minutes ago and will not be able to attend today.
  Amr Elsadr:@Wolf: +1
  Ron A:Thanks  Julie.
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:I agree it should stay...
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC: 4)
  Amr Elsadr:Sounds good.
  Mike O'Connor:might just remove the word "consent"
  Amr Elsadr:@Mike: +1
  Mike O'Connor:yeah.  the consent agenda is at the end
  Julie Hedlund:@Mikey it is at the beginning of the meeting, prior to the regular agenda.
  Mike O'Connor:argh.  Julie's right -- my bad
  Julie Hedlund:No worries Mikey ;-0
  Mary Wong:A motion can be seconded at any time up to the calling of the vote.
  Mary Wong:Mikey, that's right.
  Julie Hedlund:+1 Mikey I think that was the intent
  Mary Wong:To clarify - if a vote is required, it can't be on the consent agenda. As Mikey says, the consent agenda notion was a "safeguard" PRIOR to the Council discussion and vote on the actual motion.
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:MIckey and myself
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:No nooooo
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:Go ahead..
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:please
  Mary Wong:So if this group feels that the safeguard is no longer necessary, then as Mikey says the word "consent" can simply be dropped - so that for second resubmissions (aka third time submission) it would go straight into the main Council agenda provided the two seconds are obtained.
  Wolf Knoben:@Mary: that's how I recall the intention
  Ron A:@greg: Is your hand still up? Or do you wish to speak?
  Greg Shatan:Mary, I think that if the word "consent" is dropped, that makes it more difficult for the motion ot make to the Council's agenda (of any type). As now drafted, a resubmitted motion that gets the two seconds is eligible for the consent agenda; a motion that does not get the two seconds is ineligible for the consent agenda and would go straight to the "main" agenda.  If the word "consent" is dropped, then the two seconds are required for the motion to get on the Council's agenda at all.
  Amr Elsadr:I feel a little lost on this topic. What is the context behind the question??
  Mary Wong:@Amr, the question was whether and what process should be used in order to be able to waive a particular GNSO Operating Procedure/rule.
  Amr Elsadr:@Mary..., yes..., I get that. My question is why are we being asked to address this? What brought the question up?
  Mary Wong:The GNSO Op Proc does not contain specific wording as to when a particular, specified rule (e.g. 10-day deadline for motions) can be waived and by whom (e.g. Chair's discretion? Need for a vote to allow?)
  Amr Elsadr:@Mary: Good. A concrete example. Why would the Council want to have a waiver on a late submission of a motion?
  Mike O'Connor:here's an example -- a motion came in just a few minutes after the deadline...
  Greg Shatan:@Amr: I believe a motion on a WG final report was submitted in Durban too late for the 10 day rule. Since the motion had broad support, there was a desire to put the motion up anyway.  But the 10-day rule has no exceptions.
  Mary Wong:@Amr, that's one of the questions for the SCI too - are there only certain limited circumstances in which a waiver will be permitted? or, as long as a process is created, any rule can be waived? etc.
  Amr Elsadr:I'm for digging deeper.
  Mike O'Connor:i'm fine with digging deeper
  Greg Shatan:Dig deeper...
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:digging deeper
  Mike O'Connor:deeper is best.  best. best. best
  Amr Elsadr:LOL!!
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC::)
  Wolf Knoben:+1
  Mike O'Connor:i can't make that time... sorry
  Amr Elsadr:I'm fine with it.
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:agree
  Mary Wong:Thanks everyone!
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:thanks a lot.
  Amr Elsadr:Thanks everyone.
  Julie Hedlund:Thanks everyone and have a great morning, day, evening!
  Mary Wong::)
  Mike O'Connor:it would be good to schedule these meetings in advance...
  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:Bye bye
  Amr Elsadr:Mikey..., have a great X-mas holiday.