[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] GNSO WG Definitions of Decision-Making Levels

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Tue Apr 8 11:40:26 UTC 2014

Thanks for the feedback, Marika. I’d be grateful if you pointed out the specifics in the document on today’s call. I have to admit, I’ve been struggling with it. I’m no lawyer…, that’s for sure. :)

In any case, the sub-team’s intent has always been to address revisions to take into consideration when consensus against WG recommendations is the situation, as divergence does not reflect this situation (as was the case with the IGO/INGO WG). That’s probably why the definition of divergence is the only one that hasn’t really been substantively changed. The focus has been on the rest so far.

Still…, we do have the three ways to move forward that Ron had previously suggested:

1. Recommend changes in the definitions to the GNSO Council when the SCI finalises them.
2. To not recommend any changes at this time, and postpone changes to see if they indeed become necessary in the future (although there have been some recommendations not to do this).
3. The third option is to not change the definitions, but instead to add a footnote to them indicating that the decision-making levels could be used when consensus is for or against WG recommendations.

Thanks again, Marika.

Amr