[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 recording of the SCI meeting - 14 January 2014

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Tue Jan 14 21:32:20 UTC 2014

Dear All,
The next Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation meeting will be held on Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 2000 UTC for one hour.

Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation meeting held on Tuesday, 14 January  2014 at 20:00 UTC.

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20140114-en.mp3
On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#oct>jan
(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:

Ronald Andruff - Commercial and Business Users Constituency - Primary - Chair
Angie Graves - Commercial and Business Users Constituency - Alternate
Ken Bour -  guest speaker
Amr Elsadr - NCUC Alternate
Greg Shatan - IPC - Alternate
Cintra  Sooknanan - NPOC Alternate
Thomas Rickert - NCA Alternate
Avri Doria - Non Commercial SG - Primary - Vice-Chair
Anne Aikman Scalese - Intellectual Property Constituency - Primary
Jennifer Wolfe - NCA primary
Marie-Laure Lemineur - NPOC Primary
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPCP

Apologies:
Julie Hedlund

ICANN Staff:
Marika Konings
Mary Wong
Nathalie Peregrine

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.
Kind regards,

Glen

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org<mailto:gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org>
http://gnso.icann.org<http://gnso.icann.org/>

Adobe Chat Transcript

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, welcome to the SCI meeting on Tuesday 14th January 2014

  Ron A:Hello Nathalie, Cintra!

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Hello Ron!

  Cintra Sooknanan:Hi Ron and Nathalie, kindof late but happy new year to you

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Best iwishes to you Cintra!

  Cintra Sooknanan:Thank you for the dial out

  Nathalie  Peregrine:pleasure!

  Cintra Sooknanan:magical?  I thought 4 is badluck

  Marika Konings:Happy New Year to you too!

  Cintra Sooknanan:2 things are in process

  Amr Elsadr:Hi all. Dialling in now.

  Amr Elsadr:Just joined the call.

  Cintra Sooknanan:Hello Amr

  Amr Elsadr:Hey Cintra!! ;)

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks to Julie for all the reminders. Is she not joining us today?

  Thomas Rickert:Hi all, just dialing in.

  Ron A:Julie is in ICANN training today, but we have support from Mary and Marika, so we are in good shape.

  Amr Elsadr:OK. Thanks Ron.

  Mary Wong:Ron, I believe Greg Shatan indicated he would be late for this call.

  Amr Elsadr:That sounds great Ron!! :) Hope everyone had happy holidays.

  Avri Doria:the idea of  shutting off frm the net for any perido fills me with dread and angst.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Anne Aikman Scalese has joined the AC room

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Sorry to be late.  Hi all!

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Greg Shatan has joined the call

  Cintra Sooknanan:Hello Anne

  Angie Graves:Hi Anne

  Ron A:Welcome Anne!

  Avri Doria:i think tha tif the previous primary says it is a new person, then it has been said.

  Avri Doria:MLL is now alternate, she doesn't have to do the calls.

  Greg Shatan:Apologies for being late...

  Thomas Rickert:Congrats, Cintra!

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks for agreeing to serve Cintra.

  Cintra Sooknanan:my pleasure

  Amr Elsadr:Yup. :)

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Ken.

  Amr Elsadr:An executive summary sounds good, perhaps replacing the notes from the WG chair. We could probably also trim the screenshots.

  Amr Elsadr:@Mary. Makes perfect sense.

  Amr Elsadr:I think it's well written. Thanks Greg. :)

  Greg Shatan:You're welcome (blushing red).

  Avri Doria:we are too late by a day for this time.

  Avri Doria:ah, no motion requried?

  Amr Elsadr:Marie-Laure.

  Mary Wong:@Avri - only when the public comments are done and the final document sent to Council for approval and review.

  Amr Elsadr:@Anne: +1 here!! :)

  Avri Doria:ok, on the motion, when it is time, i am fine as liaison doing the motions.

  Mary Wong:Great, thanks Avri.

  Mary Wong:Ron, I'm happy to assist Marie-Laure and Greg.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:YOu are right Avri!  I am likely to volunteer on e-mail voting.

  Greg Shatan:Go, team!

  Ron A:Thank you Mary!

  Avri Doria:but now i am a newbie council member

  Mary Wong:From the request form sent to the SCI: "The SCI should consider whether and how the Council could vote outside of a meeting and under what circumstances.  Quote from Jonathan Robinson in the Council transcript at the Wrap Up Meeting in Durban on 18 July 2013: "So I wanted - an issue I wanted us to consider maybe giving to the SCI and then to the group or to a committee to look at is I'd like to rethink about whether potentially voting by email or something like that is a possibility? I know we've looked at it on and off over the years....And if that would help speed things along it would be great to just look at that issue in just maybe we can't do it first time around obviously but for future..."  He raised this issue because the Council was in the process of scheduling a special meeting in August to conduct a vote.."

  Ron A:Thanks for this context Mary.

  Avri Doria:except ofn PDP motions

  Avri Doria:they already allow for mail ballots

  Avri Doria:i think

  Mary Wong:Avri, you're referring to absentee ballots, right?

  Mary Wong:Yes, the GNSO procedures allow for absentee voting in some instances.

  Avri Doria:yep, it was the exception to what you were saying, i thought

  Amr Elsadr:Can email ballots be set up quickly, or is it something that requires time? My impression was that ballots wouldn't be used, but rather an email to the secretariat indicating the vote.

  Mary Wong:@Amr, for absentee votes, those are administered by the Secretariat who contacts the absent Council member directly and compiles the result.

  Mary Wong:And there is a 72 hour limit for absentee voting.

  Mary Wong:Which only apply to: a. Initiate a Policy Development Process (PDP);b. Approve a PDP recommendation;c. Recommend amendments to the GNSO Operating Procedures (GOP) or ICANN Bylaws;d. Fill a Council position open for election.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Mary. So ballots are not used, nor are they being recommended at this point?

  Mary Wong:Amr I can check with the Secretariat to confirm the actual method they are using right now. Basically, I would assume that the mechanics for both absentee and email voting would be the same.

  Amr Elsadr:I assume the same. Thanks again Mary. :)

  Mary Wong:No worries! :)

  Avri Doria:Mary,  i think they would be differtn ifonly in the respect that  everyone is voting instead of just one person.

  Mary Wong:AVri, yes - I was referring to the actual technology/format.

  Avri Doria:even then

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:I will volunteer to work on this group if needed before we come back to  SCI

  Angie Graves:I have a hard stop now, unfortunately, and must drop.

  Amr Elsadr:Bye Angie. See ya.

  Mary Wong:Link to the request and current WG Consensus Levels: https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/43985563/Background%20on%20GNSO%20Working%20Group%20Guidelines%20Consensus%20Levels.docx?version=1&modificationDate=1386621144000&api=v2

  Amr Elsadr:I'm willing to work on this sub-team.

  Amr Elsadr:@Avri: I brought it up, because you mentioned email ballots, but it was not indicated at any point in the proposed text. Don't ballots typically mean less transparency, because votes are private? Can they be revealed retroactively?

  Avri Doria:propose changes if they are needed/

  Avri Doria:it is a process fine tuning group

  Nathalie  Peregrine:that is correct

  Thomas Rickert:Thanks, Ron - well done and bye to all!

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks everyone. Talk to you soon.

  Cintra Sooknanan:take care bye