[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 recording of the SCI meeting - 03 June 2014

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Wed Jun 4 13:06:55 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements
Implementation meeting held on Tuesday, 03 June 2014 at 19:00 UTC.

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20140603-en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20140603-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#oct> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#june
(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:

Ronald Andruff - Commercial and Business Users Constituency - Primary -
Chair

Greg Shatan - IPC - Alternate

Thomas Rickert - Nominating Committee Appointee - Alternate

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPs and connectivity providers Constituency (ISPCP) -
Primary Member

Avri Doria - Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG) - Primary Member

Cintra Sooknanan (Vice-Chair) - Not-for-Profit Organizations Constituency -
NPOC Constituency - Primary Member

Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC - Primary

Angie Graves -  Business Constituency (BC) - Alternate

Lori Schulman - SOI

Apologies:
Amr Elsadr - Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC) - Primary Member

ICANN Staff:
Mary Wong

Julie Hedlund

Terri Agnew

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript 03 June 2014

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the SCI call on the 3rd of June 2014

  Ron A:Good day all!

  Ron A:just waiting in the queue to come in on the call...

  Thomas Rickert 3:Hi all!

  Mary Wong:@Lori, do you have a Statement of Interest or an update to one?

  lori schulman:Hi Mary,  I don't believe so.

  lori schulman:I am ramping up on everything.

  Mary Wong:OK - I'll send you the link/form. We need it, and your SG/C
affiliation, per the GNSO WG Guidelines :)

  lori schulman:No problem.  I will do all that is required.

  Mary Wong:Thanks so much!

  Ron A:@ Anne: Is there a reason you would like to see this go to Legal
coincidentally with Pub Com?

  Ron A:As opposed to serially?

  Mary Wong:@Avri, that is what happens

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:just want to know whether we are seeking Legal input
on all recommendations from scI as a matter of course

  Greg Shatan:It sounds more like a "red flag" process than an "input"
process to me....

  Mary Wong:On things like rules, procedures, published reports and policy
recommendations etc.., that's the practice (not just SCI or GNSO).

  Mary Wong:@GReg, that's exactly right.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:okay, thanks.  dont think Legal should delay
recommendations going to gnso

  Mary Wong:No, absolutely.

  Mary Wong:If necessary, we staff can be very pesky with our colleagues on
behalf of the community :)

  Mary Wong:I thought Julie had abandoned us!!! :) :)

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:no need to be pesky If Legal has comments, they should
send to GNSO directly and to us at the same time

  Ron A:@ Anne: I think we agree with the principle you are bringing up,
however I see it as a quick 'sanity' check rather than a an ask for
approval.

  Mary Wong:@Ron, as indeed it is!

  Greg Shatan:How about this revision to the end of the new language:
"...shall be considered timely submitted for the next GNSO Council
meeting.."

  Thomas Rickert 2:What about "as soon as practically possible"?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:It would be better to say directly whether or not such
a motion can be dealt with via e-mail voting.

  Greg Shatan:I disagree.  The question of whether this or any other motion
can be dealt with via e-mail voting.

  Greg Shatan:is irrelevan to this rule.

  Thomas Rickert 2:.shall be considered timely submitted for the next GNSO
Council meeting and dealt with according to the rules applying to GNSO
Council meeting

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:It could still be deferred when considered.

  Greg Shatan:@Avri -- how about my language above?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Re "parking", I thought we said all of these items are
going out for public comment at the same time.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Language in minutes lookjs good.

  Cintra Sooknanan:I agree with Greg's analysis ....

  Avri Doria:i am afraid it will be used to block.

  Cintra Sooknanan:Avri would you prefer to change the shall to may?

  Avri Doria:pabncake?  what does that have to do with nything?

  Greg Shatan:Exactly.  It has nothing dto dowht anything....

  Avri Doria:i accept Thomases langauge.  I do not think it is redundnat.
and ass i say as written it will be used to block an intermediate vote
sooner or later. anyone who has done council knows that.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Greg, are you saying amend to  say "shall be
considered timely submitted for the next meeting"

  Greg Shatan:Yes.

  Avri Doria:i have been convinced that it is essential to change it.

  Greg Shatan:Thumbs up for Option B.

  Cintra Sooknanan:change it in what way? shall to may?

  Avri Doria:Cintra, that iis not enough.  and that might even block what
Greg wants.

  Cintra Sooknanan:ok

  Cintra Sooknanan:are you suggesting an option c?

  Greg Shatan:I don't think we should preclude e-voting for these motions.
I just think it is not relevant here.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:If it is not precluded, that should be more clear as
in Option A draft language.

  Cintra Sooknanan:I think it is relevant, but I think it has been catered
for

  Cintra Sooknanan:evoting... can only take place with the disucssion taking
place on the mailing list etc

  Cintra Sooknanan:may= can be at the next meeting or otherwise

  lori schulman:I agree with Avri -- "may" appears to make the vote
optional.

  Greg Shatan:I don't think Option B in any way precludes a request for
evoting or a special meeting.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Greg is more of a purist than I am.  He is legally
quite correct but I think it wont be clear to non-lawyers.

  Greg Shatan:Meh.

  Ron A:Thank you on behalf of the non-lawyers Anne! ;o)

  Greg Shatan:@Avri -- it's treyfe!  That's why it could not pass your lips.

  Cintra Sooknanan:sorry have connection problems

  Avri Doria:Greg: (:

  Ron A:Cintra:Can you add your thoughts via the chat?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Mary, is it always a motion?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thanks Avri.

  Mary Wong:For COuncil voting? Yes I believe so - tho I will check re
Greg's question about the Chair.

  Cintra Sooknanan:my issue is with the quorum

  Cintra Sooknanan:was there any mention on quorum on an email vote

  Cintra Sooknanan:is there automatic quorum?

  Cintra Sooknanan:I am scanning the text but maybe I am missing it

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Check bylaws requirement for quorum per Cintra's
comment!

  Mary Wong:There is a quorum requirement - think we tried to capture that
in Section 5

  Cintra Sooknanan:is it that as long as the email credentials are sent out
the vote is assumed to be quorate

  Cintra Sooknanan:?

  Mary Wong:SEction 4.1 of the GNSO Op Proc, to be precise.

  Cintra Sooknanan:sorry for not speaking earlier very noisy here at the
moment

  Ron A:All good Cintra.

  Cintra Sooknanan:my reason for declining approval was beacuse i think we
need to beef up the quorum section here

  Cintra Sooknanan:thanks everyone... and to the subteam for their work on
this... :)

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Thanks everyone!

  Cintra Sooknanan:bye everyone, thanks Ron

  Thomas Rickert 2:bye all - cu in London! thanks Ron!

  Greg Shatan:2:30 am for remote

  lori schulman:thank you for my first meeting