[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 recording of the SCI meeting - 20 January 2015

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Wed Jan 21 00:10:23 UTC 2015

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements
Implementation meeting held on Tuesday, 20 January 2015 at 20:00 UTC.

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-20jan15-en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jan> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jan

(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:

Ronald Andruff - Commercial and Business Users Constituency - Primary

Angie Graves - Commercial and Business Users Constituency - Alternate

Greg Shatan - Intellectual Property Constituency( IPC) - Alternate

Anne Aikman Scalese - Intellectual Property Constituency( IPC)  - Primary-
Chair

Amr Elsadr - Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC) - Primary

Stefania Milan - Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG) - Alternate

Lori Schulman - Not-for-Profit Organizations Constituency - NPOC
Constituency- Primary- Vice Chair

Apologies:
none

ICANN Staff:

Julie Hedlund

Mary Wong

Glen de Saint Gery

Terri Agnew

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

Adobe Chat Transcript 20 January 2015

   Terri Agnew:Dear all, Welcome to the SCI Working Group call on the 20th
January 2015

  Amr Elsadr:Hi. Apologies about being late.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:No problem Amr  - glad you are here

  Angie Graves:Apologies for joining late

  Mary Wong:Regarding the NCPH letter, I believe it's Tony Holmes that was
holding the pen/control.

  Julie Hedlund:@Mary, yes that is my understanding too.

  Angie Graves:2015

  Amr Elsadr:Lori, A good place to find transcripts for previous meetings is
on the GNSO calendar here:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

  Amr Elsadr:@Anne: +1 For the past two years, I've never experienced a
partisan problem here.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:me either Amr and that is just great from my point of
view.

  Lori Schulman:Amr, I just sent the link to the intersessional transcipts,
etc.

  Lori
Schulman:https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=51416553

  Amr Elsadr:Right. Sorry. I joined the call in the middle of the
conversation, and thought you were talking about SCI call transcripts.

  Lori Schulman:No worries.

  Stefania Milan:can you here me?

  Amr Elsadr:No. :)

  Stefania Milan:ok, having problems with the audio of my laptop

  Terri Agnew:@Stefania, we are unable to hear you.  Private chat me if you
would liek a dial out on telephone

  Stefania Milan:i think i am on, the mic icon turned green

  Terri Agnew:@Stefania, you mic is active

  Amr Elsadr:Mary was the NCUC primary when I first joined this committee as
the NCUC alternate. :)

  Ron A:Thank you Anne.

  Amr Elsadr:Will miss you here Ron.

  Mary Wong:Congrats to Ron and thanks for your leadership - yay for the
NomCom Chair-Elect!

  Ron A:Too many hearts and flowers... ;o) Thanks all!

  Mary Wong:Don't be a stranger now!!!

  Ron A:;o)

  Mary Wong:@Amr, yup, I've been here with the SIC a LONG time :)

  Amr Elsadr:The SIC is another committee, Mary. ;-)

  Greg Shatan:Mary, are you SIC of SCI?

  Mary Wong:Ack! Just saw that Freudian slip - been thinking about the GNSO
Review!!!

  Mary Wong:@Greg, no comment, hahah

  Amr Elsadr::-D

  Lori Schulman:+1 Thank you to Ron.  He made me feel so welcomed.

  Amr Elsadr:Isn't this language from the SCI charter?

  Mary Wong:@Amr, yes - the one last approved by the GNSO Council in Oct
2013

  Greg Shatan:Mary, that was very "staff-y" of you... :-)

  Julie Hedlund:@Angie: Here is the work completed by the SCI thus far from
the wiki: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=49350790.

  Ron A:@ Juliw: I'm getting page not found.

  Greg Shatan:You will need to remove the period at the very end, or else
you will get page not found.

  Ron A:Thanks Greg.

  Greg Shatan:Pretty good for a "policy guy".... :-)

  Angie Graves:Thank you, Julie!

  Mary Wong:@Greg, I'm still learning how to be staffy ... rather than
professory or ex-Councilory :)

  Amr Elsadr:I always interpreted the periodic review to be a review of the
GNSO operating procedures, meaning that we can recommend SCI projects to the
GNSO council and don't need to wait for the council to ask us to pick
something up.

  Mary Wong:@Amr, yes, to a point - in that the Council will decide whether
to act, and if so, whether it should be an SCI project or some other group

  Ron A:That is my understanding as well, Anne.

  Lori Schulman:Mary - you are staffy because you are professory or
excouncilery -- not sure how you would separate good traits.  :0

  Mary Wong:@Lori, awww thanks

  Julie Hedlund:All -- I have unsynced the letter so you can move it in your
Adobe Connect room.

  Mary Wong:FWIW the charter tries to find the balance between the GNSO
Council always "controlling" what the SCI does, and the SCI going off on a
"frolic of its own" on projects

  Lori Schulman:Yes,  I would imagine that SCI would need some latitude to
address issues that it identifies

  Lori Schulman:but not serve as the procedure police

  Mary Wong:@Lori, yep, exactly

  Amr Elsadr:@Lori: Policing the procedures is technically the council's
job. :)

  Lori Schulman:I lost audio

  Terri Agnew:@Anne , we are no longer hearing you

  Lori Schulman:Call in is dead

  Lori Schulman:now the sound is back

  Amr Elsadr:I am in favor of the first two suggestions.

  Julie Hedlund:Anne was giving people time to read the letter -- so there
was a pause.

  Lori Schulman:LOL.  Didn't even hear breathing.

  Amr Elsadr:The action items including the two regarding the SCI are posted
here: https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Action+Items

  Julie Hedlund:@Anne:  See items 5 and 6 in the link above.  Note that the
items are on hold.  These are not motions that the Council has acted on, as
Mary notes.

  Julie Hedlund:@Anne: These are posted online.  I'll send the link.

  Greg Shatan:I believe Avri is in Frankfurt or on the way back.

  Amr Elsadr:The minutes of GNSO council meetings are not prepared quick
enough to be too useful as a method of notification. I would agree with Mary
that it is easier to have the liaison notify the SCI of updates.

  Julie Hedlund:Also, one can follow the transcripts on the GNSO calendar

  Julie Hedlund:Usually they are posted prior to the next Council meeting.

  Julie Hedlund:It may be simplest for the liaison to simply alert the SCI
when the minutes are posted.

  Julie Hedlund:Or for members to check the schedule periodially.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:@Julie - please support the group by sending the
minutes when available.  We should not ask Avri to do this given her
schdule.

  Ron A:I agree that the Liaison would be best positioned to pass the
minutes along.

  Mary Wong:@Anne, it's not that we don't want to do this; we do support a
good many WGs, CWGs and committees and so we try to be consistent in our
support approach to all.

  Julie Hedlund:@Anne, I will echo Mary.  It is not that we do not want to
do this, but it a matter of resources that all staff and managers would need
to consider.

  Ron A:+1 Amr - transcripts/recordings are much quicker

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Shall we add at the beginning of the third paragraph
"SCI understands that GNSO Council has put two specific previous topics
suggested for SCI work on hold pending receipt of the results of the GNSO
Review".  Nonetheless,  this review may be available in Singapore and
various possibilities for the 2015 SCI work plan include:"

  Amr Elsadr:Agree with Greg on all counts.

  Amr Elsadr:I would, as Greg suggested, postpone the review of the
consensus levels after the GNSO review is done. I believe this is what we
had planned at the time this came up.

  Ron A:Agree with revisions and plan Anne.

  Lori Schulman:I agree to the plan

  Mary Wong:Please let staff check on our availability before scheduling a
meeting next week?

  Stefania Milan:Anne, I agree as well

  Amr Elsadr:We can do it on-list.

  Ron A:on list works for me

  Lori Schulman:I think the list is fine.

  Stefania Milan:on-list would work for me too

  Ron A:Well done Anne!

  Amr Elsadr:@Ron: +1 :)

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.

  Lori Schulman:Thank you.