[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] SCI Letter to GNSO Council Chair Jonathan Robinson

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at egyptig.org
Wed Jan 28 14:57:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

For what it’s worth, I did put this into the AC room chat during the SCI’s last call:

“I would, as Greg suggested, postpone the review of the consensus levels after the GNSO review is done. I believe this is what we had planned at the time this came up.”

This was, if I recall correctly, in response to what Greg had said:

“With regard to the consensus level issue, this is one that unlike the other two I think actually may be best dealt with after the GNSO review and the Westlake Report and all that stuff comes out because I think that may conceivably relate to some of the output of that."

So I am in favour of NOT working on a review of the consensus levels until after the GNSO review is done, and we have the Westlake recommendations.

If I also recall correctly, one of the chief concerns with simultaneously dealing with the 10-day rule waiver and the resubmitted motions was that they would be best dealt with using amendments to the operating procedures in two different sections. This might have necessitated two separate SCI projects with two separate public comment periods. That was a valid enough reason to deal with one and then the other, and I factored that in when the decision was made to not include resubmitted motions with the waiver. I still do think we should work on getting this done. It doesn’t make much sense to me to not have the waiver apply to resubmitted motions. There are plenty of safeguards in both processes to ensure they are not abused. The SCI did some pretty good work on those when we came up with out recommendations.

Again…, for the record, I’m also fine picking up the task of formalising procedures for friendly amendments as soon as we can, and as soon as the GNSO council deems it appropriate/practical. There is no mention of how friendly amendments are used in the GNSO operating procedures, but they are used quite frequently, and often become problematic.

Thanks.

Amr