[gnso-improvem-impl-sc] MP3 recording of the SCI meeting - 23 July 2015

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Thu Jul 23 21:27:19 UTC 2015

Dear All,
Please find the MP3 recording of the Standing Committee on Improvements Implementation meeting held on Thursday, 23 July 2015:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-sci-23jul15-en.mp3

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jul

(transcripts and recording are found on the calendar page)

Attendees:

Rudi Vansnick - NPOC - Primary

Amr Elsadr - NCUC - Primary

Avri Doria - NCSG - Primary

Lori Schulman - IPC - Alternate

Angie Graves - BC - Primary

Ken Stubbs - RySG - Primary

Apologies:

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPCP - Primary

Jennifer Standiford - RrSG - Primary

Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC - Primary - Chair

ICANN Staff:

Julie Hedlund

Mary Wong

Terri Agnew

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Terri Agnew
Adobe Chat Transcript 23 July 2015

  Terri Agnew:Dear all, welcome to the SCI call on the 23rd July 2015

  Lori Schulman:Hello.

  Rudi Vansnick:hi Lori

  Amr Elsadr:May the document on the screen please by desynched?

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks.

  Julie Hedlund:@Amr -- Done!

  ken stubbs - afilias:thank you !

  Amr Elsadr:It looks like the chat window may be covering the window showing participants. Can this please be fixed?

  Julie Hedlund:@Amr, it isn't showing that way for me.  I will try to change it thought.

  Julie Hedlund:I tried moving the chat window down a bit.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks. Looks like it's fixed on my end. Maybe I was just imagining it.

  Amr Elsadr::)

  Julie Hedlund:Well, it is Adobe Connect, so who knows ;-)

  Lori Schulman:can you hear me?

  Julie Hedlund:We can't hear you Lori.

  Terri Agnew:@Lori, no, you need to active your mic

  Julie Hedlund:Loud and clear Lori!

  Julie Hedlund:@Lori, I don't think that there was consensus.

  Avri Doria:right in the past we had consensu on creating the rule in the first place.

  Avri Doria:but as Amr is explain this is a theoretical emergent edge case.

  Avri Doria:the reason i gave for not doing so is tha reason for the 10 day rule - emergencies.  on a resubmission i do not see what the emergency might be.

  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: That's fine by me.

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: Yes, of course. Didn't mean anything by it. Just wanted to point it out.

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: I'm sorry..., could you clarify what you want us to agree on?

  Amr Elsadr:@Julie: Sure. Thanks.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Julie. Sounds fine by me.

  Avri Doria:Rudi, are you just on AC, if so, it has been bouncing up and own for days now.

  Avri Doria:.. up and down ...

  Rudi Vansnick:@Avri yes Avri i was on AC only

  Lori Schulman:Are "friendly" and "unfriendly" defined in the GNSO procedures.

  Julie Hedlund:@Lori: No, there is nothing in the Procedures addressing amendments of either kind.

  Lori Schulman:Without a definition, how do we delineate a procdure?

  Julie Hedlund:@Lori: We would have to consider whether to incorporate a definition in the addition to the procedures.  We could probably use Roberts Rules of Order as a guide.

  ken stubbs - afilias:15 years ago for me (joined council)

  ken stubbs - afilias:+1 avri

  Amr Elsadr:@Avri: In BA, council also voted on whether to accept the amended language before voting on the motion.

  Avri Doria:under the tradion on the maker of the motion and seconder get to decide if it is friendly.  rudi issue is the crix of the issue on friendly motions. who owns changing it?

  Lori Schulman:I tend to agree with Roberts.  Amendments should be agnostic.

  Lori Schulman:neither friendly nor unfriendly.

  Mary Wong:The consequence of characterizing a proposed amendment as friendly or not is whether or not the Council will then first need to vote on the proposed amendment (whether to accept it)

  Mary Wong:Again, it's Council custom - first vote on amendment if considered unfriendly

  Mary Wong:Needs majority to add the amendment to the original motion

  Avri Doria:voting on amendments is the standard even in the real world.

  Lori Schulman:yup

  Julie Hedlund:@Avri: You mean we aren't in the real world ;-)

  Mary Wong:Yup just pointing out the consequence

  Lori Schulman:+1 to Avri's comment about the "real" world.

  Avri Doria:Julie, you tell me.  I can't ever tell for sure.

  Julie Hedlund:@Avri: Then we are both lost since I'm not sure either :-)

  Rudi Vansnick:"friendly" is to me a personal (human) perception not procedural

  Amr Elsadr:@Rudi: Yes..., which is why it is highly subjective.

  Avri Doria:i have to chair a IGF type meeting on the hour so will drop off at around  xx58

  Angie Graves:I agree with Amr.  Are we working against an agreed-upon definition of "friendly"?

  Avri Doria:for a bit of history, when i first becasme GNSO chair in antiquity, i tried to get rid of the whole friendly ammendment thing.  at that time i was told to leave it alone.  now, after all these years i have grown accustomed to it.

  Amr Elsadr:I wouldn't try to define friendly here.

  Amr Elsadr:Seems unnecessary to me.

  Angie Graves:Me neither.  Just wondering if one exists.

  ken stubbs:sorry.. wifi wnt down for a few min

  Amr Elsadr:@Angie: I think you're friendly. Does that count? ;-)

  Angie Graves:hehe

  Angie Graves:me too you!

  Avri Doria:continue to discuss on list?

  Lori Schulman:I think that if you want to codify rules around friendly amendments then you need to define them

  Amr Elsadr:@Avri: +1

  Angie Graves:Thanks, Avri

  ken stubbs:awareness needs to be made at council level before we move much further

  Avri Doria:some mornig i wake up and know i am not going to be all that friendly that day.

  ken stubbs:vacatiuons coming up

  Lori Schulman:I vote September

  Lori Schulman:Too many vacations

  ken stubbs:+1 september

  Avri Doria:September is good.

  Amr Elsadr:@Lori: I only meant that if we work out and suggest codified rules, those will determine how friendly amendments may be submitted and accepted without us having to define it now. That's all.

  Lori Schulman:Amr: got it.

  Avri Doria:can we include Spetember as one of the doodle choices?

  Mary Wong:Just schedule for the 6th and cancel if you have too many apolgies?

  ken stubbs:1st wk in sept is best

  Lori Schulman:I like Mary's approach.

  ken stubbs:pass on the 6th

  Lori Schulman:Top down but practical

  Avri Doria:bye all.

  Amr Elsadr:I would also prefer to wait until September.

  ken stubbs:majority have suggested september

  Amr Elsadr:#September

  ken stubbs:serious trending .. majority of parties on the call favor sept

  Lori Schulman:LOL

  ken stubbs:good bye folks

  Julie Hedlund:Bye everyone and thanks!

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.